Woman in ‘critical condition’ after being hit by car during police chase in Highgate
- Credit: Archant
Police are appealing for witnesses after a young woman has been left in a critical condition after being hit by a car being pursued by police in Highgate.
The woman, said to be in her 20s, was hospitalised with leg, hip and facial injuries when she was hit by a black Ford Focus in Shepherd’s Hill, near the junction with Archway Road, yesterday morning.
It follows a chase that started in Colindale at about 11.35am when the driver of the vehicle failed to stop for police.
The young woman was hit just 10 minutes into the chase at about 11.45am.
Police say the vehicle, which did not stop and left the scene, was later found to have been reported lost or stolen.
You may also want to watch:
A resident in Shepherd’s Hill, who heard the incident from her house opposite, said: “The sound was so incredible I thought two cars had hit each other.
“I came running outside and heard the woman screaming like mad - it was just awful.
- 1 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 2 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 3 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 4 The situation in North London as Arsenal come up against Spurs
- 5 'Time for banks to share a Crouch End branch'
- 6 Arsenal start pre-season with win over Chelsea but dealt blow with Jordan Nobbs injury
- 7 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 8 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 9 E-scooters set for Camden as council boss backs rental trial
- 10 Harry Kane: Boyhood club cult status or chase that silverware?
“The police immediately stopped and officers ran to the girl who was lying half on the pavement, half in the road.
“She was on the ground for about an hour with paramedics working on her.
“It was just shocking.
“There were a whole load of police cars afterwards and a helicopter was up above I’m guessing to look for the car.”
Skidmarks on the road could be seen where the collision with the young woman happened and Shepherd’s Hill was closed for much of Monday afternoon.
The woman, who was rushed to St Mary’s Hospital in Paddington, was described by police as being in a critical but stable condition.
The Ford Focus was later found in the Highgate area. No arrests have been made.
As a matter of routine, the Met’s Directorate of Professional Standards (DPS) has been informed.
Officers from the Serious Collision Investigation Unit based at Alperton are investigating and ask anyone who witnessed the collision, or the events leading up to the collision, to contact them on 0208 991 9555.