Widow swindled by conman in new fight to recover Hampstead home

More than three years after a callous conman swindled a Hampstead widow out of her home, the partially blind 89-year-old is being dragged through the courts to recover her house.

Police are still hunting smooth-talking Danish-born fraudster Mogens Hauschildt after he fled to the south of France in 2009 with around �1million belonging to Pamela Schutzmann.

The penniless pensioner still lives in her home in Finchley Road but has not had legal ownership since the swindle.

She attended Isleworth Crown Court on February 24 in a bid to reclaim the �500,000 house, but the case was put back until June after a legal dispute.

Mrs Schutzmann, who has lived in her home for more than 50 years, said: “It is extremely nerve-racking for me. It has been going on for a very long time and I am only getting older.


You may also want to watch:


“It’s quite ridiculous really that I’m being put through all of this. What am I supposed to live on?”

The Land Registry was on the brink of returning the home to her in March 2010, but the deal fell through at the final stage.

Most Read

No one was available for comment at the Land Registry.

Mrs Schutzmann’s solicitor Golnar Bokaei said: “It’s just so much trauma for Pam, it’s constant.

“At some point the Land Registry said they would put it back in her name and then they said no and it was just back to the drawing board.”

The conman had befriended Mrs Schutzmann and become her financial adviser before escaping with her family silver, antiques and even jewellery given to her by her late husband.

Hauschildt was convicted of nine counts of fraud and money laundering in 2009, but had already fled the country.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter