Westbourne Green murderer jailed after 15 years on the run
Killer is handed life sentence after being found in Spain
A MAN who killed his girlfriend in her Westbourne Green home, and then evaded justice for 15 years by fleeing the country, was today sentenced to life in prison.
Miguel Da Silva, 40, was found guilty of murdering the 44-year-old mother of his two children, Susan Joyce Martin, at her Aldridge Road Villas flat in September 1994.
Portuguese national Da Silva will serve a minimum of 16 years after being sentenced at the Old Bailey this morning.
The day after the killing in 1994, Da Silva walked into Paddington Green police station with blood on his hands and confessed he had had a fight with Ms Martin and had beaten her up.
You may also want to watch:
He was arrested and remanded to a secure medical facility but, after being charged with murder and while awaiting trial, he scaled a wall and escaped in March 1995 after patients were evacuated due to a fire alarm alert.
Da Silva was finally traced to Spain and extradited to the UK earlier this year where he was arrested and charged with murder.
- 1 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 2 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 3 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 4 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 5 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'
- 6 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 7 Property of the week: Impressive mid-terrace Kentish Town family home
- 8 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre
- 9 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 10 Vehicles scraped and traffic chaos after width-restriction bollards moved
The victim’s daughter, Sarah Martin, said: “I have been in limbo for the past sixteen years. It still feels like it happened yesterday and I feel the same rawness as I felt then.
“It is fair to say that when my mother was killed, our family fell apart.”