Watch: Moped ram-raiders in £60,000 smash and grab at West Hampstead shop
- Credit: Archant
This is the moment a gang of moped ram-raiders fled the scene after smashing through a shop’s front door to steal £60,000 worth of luxury sunglasses.
Four thieves on two mopeds rammed their way into Eye Cube in the early hours of Tuesday morning.
With a resident filming, the gang left the shop, in West End Lane, West Hampstead, on their mopeds going towards Sainsbury’s.
Hiten Patel, director of Eye Cube, said: “It was a very clinical and organised hit.
“They smashed through our front door and left a huge amount of damage. They destroyed cabinets and panels were ripped out. They stole about 200 pieces, some going for £1,300 a pair.
“It’s devastating for us as we’re at the peak of our summer season.
“We have had to close but we aim to be open tomorrow.”
- 1 First Muslim lord mayor of Westminster announced
- 2 Man files complaint following 'unlawful arrest' by police officers
- 3 CCTV footage released as family pay tribute to 'loving son' Olsi
- 4 Community joy as Murphy's Yard application withdrawn
- 5 Duke's Head noise complaints committee hearing
- 6 Toff's of Muswell Hill celebrates Fish and Chips Day with 50 free glasses of fizz
- 7 Barnet: Two men charged following fatal High Road stabbing
- 8 Hampstead nursery slams church over impending eviction
- 9 Floating park between Camden Town and King's Cross
- 10 'It's a lovely community': The Bull reopens under new management
Any witnesses or anyone with information on the burglary should call the police on 101.
A spokesman for the Met Police said: “Police were called on Tuesday, 11 August at approximately 03:25hrs following reports that four men on two mopeds had tried to force entry into an opticians in West End Lane, NW6. Officers attended the location and the suspects had left prior to police arrival. When officers arrived on scene there was damage to the shop door and a large number of designer sunglasses had been stolen. It is believed the suspects used their mopeds to force the shutters and door open before going inside to steal the items. No arrests. Detectives form Camden CID are investigating.”