Watch: Moped ram-raiders in £60,000 smash and grab at West Hampstead shop
- Credit: Archant
This is the moment a gang of moped ram-raiders fled the scene after smashing through a shop’s front door to steal £60,000 worth of luxury sunglasses.
Four thieves on two mopeds rammed their way into Eye Cube in the early hours of Tuesday morning.
With a resident filming, the gang left the shop, in West End Lane, West Hampstead, on their mopeds going towards Sainsbury’s.
Hiten Patel, director of Eye Cube, said: “It was a very clinical and organised hit.
“They smashed through our front door and left a huge amount of damage. They destroyed cabinets and panels were ripped out. They stole about 200 pieces, some going for £1,300 a pair.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s devastating for us as we’re at the peak of our summer season.
“We have had to close but we aim to be open tomorrow.”
- 1 Callum Chambers could be Arsenal's starting right-back
- 2 'Wartime spirit' as residents save shops from flash floods
- 3 Arsenal signing Simone Boye Sorensen says she needed a 'new start'
- 4 Letters: The floods!
- 5 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 6 Flash floods 'three feet high' leave basement flats 'uninhabitable'
- 7 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 8 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 9 'The euphoria felt like the Summer of Love' – Kaleidoscope at Ally Pally
- 10 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
Any witnesses or anyone with information on the burglary should call the police on 101.
A spokesman for the Met Police said: “Police were called on Tuesday, 11 August at approximately 03:25hrs following reports that four men on two mopeds had tried to force entry into an opticians in West End Lane, NW6. Officers attended the location and the suspects had left prior to police arrival. When officers arrived on scene there was damage to the shop door and a large number of designer sunglasses had been stolen. It is believed the suspects used their mopeds to force the shutters and door open before going inside to steal the items. No arrests. Detectives form Camden CID are investigating.”