‘Very little’ Waitrose employee praised for foiling mugging of old lady
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
A Waitrose employee has been praised for her bravery after she foiled two men who tried to rob an old lady in broad daylight.
The shelf-stacker, who did not want to be named, went after the two thieves after one had taken a cash card from the pensioner before demanding her pin code.
The incident happened at midday on Thursday of last week outside the Temple Fortune Waitrose in Finchley Road.
Jane Yatsenko said: “One was walking towards me the other was walking behind an old lady with a walking stick. The man walking towards me tried to distract me with some ridiculous question about ‘Is Barnet Station near here?’ to which I said ‘You know it isn’t’. At this moment the other man following the old lady with a stick grabbed her cash card out of her hand and demanded the code.
“No one did anything. There was even a security guard delivering or collecting money from the bank right there.
“No one except the Waitrose employee, who ran past me and round the corner where the muggers had gone. She returned with the old lady’s cash card.’’
“I was amazed at how brave and selfless the Waitrose staff member was. She is very little too.”
- 1 'Unimaginable loss': Father and daughter stabbed to death in north London
- 2 Covid-19: Omicron cases confirmed in Haringey and Barnet
- 3 Covid-19: Omicron variant case confirmed in Camden
- 4 Camden Market has major makeover with new cinema, shops and food stalls
- 5 Barnet chemist named independent pharmacy of the year
- 6 Masked-up Boris Johnson poses for selfies at Wood Green care centre
- 7 Hampstead Heath to host first Christmas Fayre
- 8 Two people flee in Finchley flat fire caused by faulty radiator
- 9 Stunning light trail wraps up Kenwood like a giant Christmas present
- 10 Highgate's new butcher offers wine pairing and cooking advice