Unsafe roof closes Maida Vale Library for next 8 months
Maida Vale library has closed after engineers discovered extensive damage to the building’s roof, making it unsafe for public use.
Staff noticed cracks in the library’s ceiling on June 19. It was immediately inspected and the building, which is more than a century old, was closed to the public as a precaution.
The library will remain shut until next April while repairs, expected to cost nearly �1million, are carried out.
However, a replacement library will open on August 28 in the basement of the building on Sutherland Avenue.
It will provide the same number of library items and computers, with a quiet study space and children’s area.
Events will continue to run and wheelchair access will also be provided.
Cllr Lee Rowley, Westminster’s cabinet member for community services, said: “This important replacement service will ensure that Maida Vale residents do not miss out on having a library service at the heart of the community while the repair works are carried out.
- 1 CCTV footage released as family pay tribute to 'loving son' Olsi
- 2 Man arrested following stabbing on Royal College Street
- 3 Highgate woman pledges £1million for children's autism charity
- 4 First Muslim lord mayor of Westminster announced
- 5 Floating park between Camden Town and King's Cross
- 6 Five bedrooms, utterly charming and in Muswell Hill
- 7 Toff's of Muswell Hill celebrates Fish and Chips Day with 50 free glasses of fizz
- 8 'I'm sorry people had to wait 30 years,' former minister tells Infected Blood Inquiry
- 9 Community joy as Murphy's Yard application withdrawn
- 10 Former Camden Council leader chooses women's safety charity for second mayoral year
“I would like to thank our residents for their patience while we complete these repair works and get our magnificent Maida Vale library back up and running.”
The library underwent six weeks of repair and refurbishment in March this year. It is inspected regularly, and was deemed safe to use at the last inspection before the cracks appeared.