Tracey Connelly: Mother of Haringey's 'Baby P' freed from prison
- Credit: PA
The mother of Haringey's 'Baby P' - who died after months of abuse - has been freed from jail.
Tracey Connelly, 40, was jailed in 2009 for causing or allowing the death of her 17-month-old son Peter at their Tottenham home on August 3, 2007.
The toddler had suffered more than 50 injuries over an eight-month period, during which he was repeatedly seen by the London Borough of Haringey children's services and National Health Service health professionals.
The Ministry of Justice confirmed Connelly's release from prison yesterday (Thursday, July 7).
Deputy prime minister and justice secretary Dominic Raab condemned the decision, saying it was proof the parole system needs a “fundamental overhaul”.
In March, the parole board decided Connelly was suitable for release - having rejected three previous bids in 2015, 2017 and 2019 - after hearing she is now considered to be at “low risk of committing a further offence”, and that probation officers and prison officials support the plan.
She was released on licence in 2013, but recalled to prison in 2015 for breaching her parole conditions.
Mr Raab said: “Tracey Connelly’s cruelty was pure evil, which is why I strongly opposed her release.
- 1 A Level results 2022 live: Camden, Barnet and Haringey schools as they come in
- 2 'Fragile' Highgate Hill raised road to be repaired
- 3 Coldplay at Wembley Stadium: Setlist and photos
- 4 Five-bedroom house with garden and roof terrace in Kentish Town
- 5 Plumber found guilty of road rage murder of Deliveroo driver
- 6 Graham Chapman's Highgate haunt gets a refurb
- 7 'Incredibly kind and caring': Tribute to wife who died with brain tumour
- 8 Victim speaks out after Hampstead machete robbery
- 9 'Opportunities in Camden as students receive their results'
- 10 London Assembly: TfL urged to rethink plans to cut 78 bus routes
“The decision to let her out demonstrates why the parole board needs a fundamental overhaul, including a ministerial block, to protect the public and keep dangerous offenders off our streets.”
Mr Raab had asked the board, which is independent of the government, to re-examine the decision earlier this year under the so-called reconsideration mechanism.
That application was “refused”.
A parole board spokesman had said in a statement: “Following the reconsideration application from the secretary of state, a judge has ruled that the decision made by independent parole board members to release was not irrational, as stated in the reconsideration application, and the original decision is upheld.”
Connelly will be subject to restrictions on her movements, activities and who she contacts, and faces 20 extra licence conditions.
They include living at a specified address - initially a bail hostel - as well as being supervised by probation, wearing an electronic tag, adhering to a curfew and having to disclose her relationships.
Her use of the internet and a phone will be monitored, and she has been told she cannot go to certain places to “avoid contact with victims and to protect children”.