Three men cleared of Harrow Road KFC shooting murder
Three gang members accused of shooting dead an innocent man in a botched revenge attack have been cleared of murder.
Kervin Kavuala, 27, of South Kilburn, was said to have carried out the hit on 22-year-old Daniel Smith to avenge the death of his brother Tyno.
Mr Smith was shot in the chest as he went left KFC in Harrow Road in the early hours of November 22, 2010.
Tyno was shot dead three years earlier as he sat in his car in Scrubs lane, Harlesden, on March 4, 2007.
Prosecutors argued that Mr Smith was targeted as he bore a ‘striking resemblance’ to Stacey Theophane, a rival gang member believed to be responsible for the death of Tyno.
You may also want to watch:
The gang is locked in a bitter rivalry with the Family About Cash gang, based around the estates of south and west Kilburn, and to which the four accused were said to have belonged.
Jurors heard how a YouTube video was posted online with Mr Kavuala pointing to a tattoo of his dead brother while another person raps: “This all started when my brother died...it won’t end till I see another homicide.”
- 1 London Assembly elections: Camden, Barnet and Haringey's candidates
- 2 Swimmers launch legal challenge to charges at Hampstead Heath Ponds
- 3 Matt Hancock to give evidence at Infected Blood Inquiry
- 4 'Unacceptable' HGV use by developers in Church Row writes off 3 cars
- 5 Brent Cross Shopping Centre stabbing victim named
- 6 North London nurses: 1% NHS pay offer is a 'kick in the teeth'
- 7 Home of the week: Charming Victorian home for sale in Stroud Green
- 8 Seven things to do in Hampstead and Highgate after May 17
- 9 Golders Green Hippodrome 'chooses love' at interfaith Covid vaccine drive
- 10 England captain Harry Kane renews his shirt sponsorship with Leyton Orient
During the trial, Mr Kavuala claimed the shooting could not have been a revenge attack as he had always believed that the police had killed his brother.
Prosecutors were unable to identify who had fired the fatal shot and jurors at the Old Bailey cleared Kavuala, along with Zeleke Forde, 30, of Watford and Shane Lewis, 32, of Harlesden, of murder after just 55 minutes’ deliberation on Wednesday.
A fourth man, 25-year-old Jonathan Yeboah, was cleared of firearms charges. All four denied the charges.