Thieves snatch �10,000 from cash handler in Swiss Cottage
Thieves jumped a cash handler outside Swiss Cottage Tube station making off with �10,000 on Monday (December 12).
A 58-year-old, who was collecting money from the Underground station, was set upon at 11am as he opened the back of his van.
A robber punched him in the stomach and grabbed the cashbox before escaping to a car in a nearby market square.
The cash collector, who worked for cash management firm Loomis and was robbed in the same spot three years ago, activated an alarm from his van which triggered a screeching sound from the cashbox.
He said: “I was attacked by a white guy. He pushed me into the back of the van and the first thing that came into my mind was that he might have a weapon.
“We had a bit of a fight and then he made off towards his car. The thief fell over as he tried to get away and one witness said he might have been injured.”
Police said around �10,000 is thought to have been taken, but this had not been confirmed.
- 1 The man who wants to put trains among the trees from Muswell Hill to Highgate
- 2 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 3 Highgate pub gets the go-ahead to reopen
- 4 Landlord scales back 40% rent rise - but it is too late for some tenants
- 5 Ricky Gervais behind new benches for people grieving to 'talk and reflect'
- 6 Could Adama Traore be on his way to Tottenham?
- 7 Covid patient numbers levelling out after Christmas rise, data suggests
- 8 Discover north London’s ‘lost’ synagogue
- 9 'Ruining our vibe': Muswell Hill coffee shop divides community opinion
- 10 Aldi tight-lipped about potential Finchley Road store at O2 Centre site
Forensic evidence was taken from the scene.
Police are appealing for information and anyone who can help should call 020 8358 1751 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.