Thief is trapped by bite mark on victim
A ROBBER who targeted an elderly couple in Golders Green and stole cash and jewellery worth more than �4,000 has been jailed for five years.
James Bell (pictured right), of Gresse Street in Soho, was sentenced at Wood Green Crown Court to five years and four months for the robbery which took place on August 4.
Three masked men broke into the couple’s house in Woodstock Avenue at 12.30am. They had just returned from central London where, ironically, they had taken a friend home by car as they were concerned about the number of robberies.
The husband saw one of the men snatch his wife’s watch from her wrist and he resisted attempts to steal his.
He made a fist in a bid to stop his watch being taken but Bell grabbed hold of his hand and bit it. This proved to be his undoing as a police forensic officer was quickly on the scene after the incident and swabbed the area around the bite. This revealed a DNA match to Bell and he was arrested and charged.
DC Simon Hunt of Barnet CID said: “This is a good sentence that sends a clear message – violent robbers can expect to spend a long time in prison, where they belong.”
Meanwhile in Hampstead Garden Suburb a victim of the recent burglary spate has spoken out about being burgled while asleep upstairs.
- 1 Fences and padlocks at Primrose Hill once again
- 2 Alleged stalker sent '1,000 emails in a month’ to The Crown star Claire Foy
- 3 Fans pray for Bosco 'and his big stick' as he goes into surgery
- 4 Crouch End Festival: 'Back with a bang bigger than ever'
- 5 Family pay tribute to schoolgirl at West Hampstead bridge restoration
- 6 Covid admissions on the rise at north London hospitals
- 7 Golders Green school hosts reunion ahead of closure
- 8 Free beach returns to Finchley Road for the summer
- 9 Royal Free denies allowing Tory MP to influence medical decision
- 10 George Michael's Highgate piano to be auctioned off
As the Ham&High reported last week, burglary in the area has risen 34 per cent this year.
The woman, who lives in Brookland Rise, and does not want to be named, said: “I came down at 7am and I noticed the kitchen light was on, some drawers had been opened and my stuff was lying all over the place.
“They had taken my laptop and my handbag with �100 cash and also my work bag. Burglary is a problem in Hampstead Garden Suburb. I know lots of mums who have had their car windows smashed while they were picking their children up because their handbags were in the car.”
Det Chief Insp Caer Taylor said. “Most burglaries in Hampstead Gardens are by people accessing the property via rear gardens. I would ask people to make sure the back of their property is as secure as the front.”
To contact the Safer Neighbourhood team please call 020-7161 9016.