Thief is trapped by bite mark on victim
A ROBBER who targeted an elderly couple in Golders Green and stole cash and jewellery worth more than �4,000 has been jailed for five years.
James Bell (pictured right), of Gresse Street in Soho, was sentenced at Wood Green Crown Court to five years and four months for the robbery which took place on August 4.
Three masked men broke into the couple’s house in Woodstock Avenue at 12.30am. They had just returned from central London where, ironically, they had taken a friend home by car as they were concerned about the number of robberies.
The husband saw one of the men snatch his wife’s watch from her wrist and he resisted attempts to steal his.
He made a fist in a bid to stop his watch being taken but Bell grabbed hold of his hand and bit it. This proved to be his undoing as a police forensic officer was quickly on the scene after the incident and swabbed the area around the bite. This revealed a DNA match to Bell and he was arrested and charged.
You may also want to watch:
DC Simon Hunt of Barnet CID said: “This is a good sentence that sends a clear message – violent robbers can expect to spend a long time in prison, where they belong.”
Meanwhile in Hampstead Garden Suburb a victim of the recent burglary spate has spoken out about being burgled while asleep upstairs.
- 1 UK's first no chicken nugget shop pops up in Camden Town
- 2 Crunch! Eliana and Ariella's granola business success
- 3 'We've been forgotten': Homeless Muswell Hill family demand action
- 4 'Land grab': Muswell Hill Gail's accused of taking over pavement
- 5 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 'More than a shop': Storm in a Teacup in 100 nation-wide small businesses
- 8 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 9 New Jewish Fringe festival comes to Golders Green
- 10 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
As the Ham&High reported last week, burglary in the area has risen 34 per cent this year.
The woman, who lives in Brookland Rise, and does not want to be named, said: “I came down at 7am and I noticed the kitchen light was on, some drawers had been opened and my stuff was lying all over the place.
“They had taken my laptop and my handbag with �100 cash and also my work bag. Burglary is a problem in Hampstead Garden Suburb. I know lots of mums who have had their car windows smashed while they were picking their children up because their handbags were in the car.”
Det Chief Insp Caer Taylor said. “Most burglaries in Hampstead Gardens are by people accessing the property via rear gardens. I would ask people to make sure the back of their property is as secure as the front.”
To contact the Safer Neighbourhood team please call 020-7161 9016.