Teenage knifeman chased by police helicopter over Kentish Town rooftops
- Credit: Archant
Robbery of pizza delivery driver at knifepoint leads to early hours search for suspect
A teenager who threatened a pizza delivery man at knifepoint and stole his moped was chased across rooftops by the police helicopter in the early hours of this morning.
The 17-year-old escaped onto the roof of a building in Grafton Road at around 3am after police arrived to arrest him.
They suspected that he was involved in an robbery hours earlier at 11pm the night before in Woodward Close, Kentish Town.
Hundreds of residents in the area were woken at 4am as the helicopter flew around the area in windy conditions with a search light for nearly an hour.
You may also want to watch:
At 3:50am, the Metropolitan police helicopter crew tweeted: “in NW5 area assisting @MPSCamden suspect on a roof, apologies for noise”
Then at 5:04am they tweeted again: “we got ‘em, nite nite”
- 1 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 2 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 3 Famous Hampstead Heath love swan Mrs Newbie dies
- 4 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 5 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 6 Italian sandwich bar set to open in Hampstead phone box
- 7 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 8 'Important for mental health': Royal Free commits to maintaining new gardens
- 9 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 10 'Feels like a runway': Hampstead residents call for LED lamp post change
A police spokesman said: “At 11pm on Wednesday a pizza delivery rider was robbed of his moped at knifepoint. Met officers investigated and the moped was recovered.
“At around 3am today officers attended an address in Grafton Road to make arrest enquiries. Upon police arrival, a 17-year-old male went onto the roof of the premises.”
An ambulance also attended the scene as a precaution.
He said that at 4:30am a youth was arrested on suspcion of robbery and was today being questioned.