Teen in court over clash between police and party mob after £2million Hampstead house trashed

Teenagers and polce in Arkwright Road

Teenagers and polce in Arkwright Road - Credit: Archant

A teenager who was part of a mob that clashed with police after a party at a £2million house – sparking fears of London Riots-style violence in Hampstead – has admitted resisting arrest and abusing officers.

Laughing gas cannisters and a plastic bag containing white powder were found in the house after the

Laughing gas cannisters and a plastic bag containing white powder were found in the house after the party held by public school boys. Picture: Nigel Sutton - Credit: Nigel Sutton

The 17-year-old, who cannot be named for legal reasons but is from Gospel Oak, was one of three boys arrested in Arkwright Road on June 6 as police were confronted by about 50 youths following an out-of-control house party.

He pleaded guilty to resisting arrest and a public order offence at Highbury Corner Youth Court last Thursday and will be sentenced on October 23.

A charge of common assault on a police officer was dropped.

His solicitor Ruth Hamann said: “This relates to a public disorder incident outside a house party which had been gatecrashed and resulted in numerous arrests on the night.”

On July 31 this year another teenager, also 17, admitted using threatening words or behaviour and was handed a conditional discharge, while charges against the third boy were withdrawn.

The clash took place after officers shut down the party, which was held in a £2million home near to the junction of Frognal and Arkwright Road to celebrate the end of exams.

Most Read

Witnesses told the Ham&High afterwards that scores of “well-dressed” youths were goading officers out in the street, yelling in their faces, taping them with mobile phones and refusing to budge for 60 minutes until about 2am.

Many feared the clash was about to turn seriously violent and likened it to a “riot”.

One Arkwright Road resident said at the time: “It felt like the London riots were starting again outside my house. I thought, ‘this is about to go off’.”

Police eventually formed a line and marched the mob down towards Finchley Road, before hauling three of them away.

The owner of the house, who had rented it out for the night for a fee of £750, returned the next morning to find the devastation, which left her with a £15,000 repair bill.

Paint and petrol had been thrown at the walls, a granite sink cracked, mahogany floorboards ripped up and crystal decanters smashed.

There was also evidence of drug use, with scores of “laughing gas” canisters and a small plastic bag filled with white powder left behind.