Teen groper tagged and given curfew

A TEENAGER has been sentenced to a rehabilitation order and must wear an electronic tag for three months after he groped a schoolgirl in Hampstead.

The boy, 14, followed his 15-year-old victim, who cannot be named, in July this year as she left Hampstead tube station after a day at school.

He tried to talk to the girl before following her to a secluded spot where he hugged her and then made a lunge, trying to put his hand up her skirt. She pushed him away and they fell to the ground at which point he climbed on top of her.

The boy, who also cannot be named for legal reasons, was found guilty of sexual assault last month and last week (November 3) he was sentenced at Highbury Corner Youth Court.

He is now subject to a 12- month youth rehabilitation order, including a tagged curfew to remain at home between the hours of 7pm and 7am for three months and an exclusion order prohibiting him from entering the NW3 postal area for the same period of time. He was also fined �100 in costs and his parents were issued with a six month parenting order to ensure their son complies with the conditions of his sentence.

Outside court, Det Constable Mark Knollys of Camden’s Major Crime Unit said: “This was a disturbing incident where a lone young girl was targeted on her way home from school and assaulted. Despite the strong evidence against him, the suspect maintained a ‘not guilty’ stance throughout the judicial process, resulting in the victim having to relive her experience in court. It is a testament to the victim’s strength that she was able to confidently give her evidence.

“I trust the sentence imposed will give a degree of closure to the victim and will reassure the public that the suspect will be monitored by the police and partner agencies for some time to come. I would also like to thank my colleagues in the Hampstead Safer Neighbourhoods Team and uniformed response teams who dealt with the initial incident so effectively.”

Most Read

During the trial last month the court heard from the victim via video link when she described the moment of the attack and how the assailant climbed on top of her when she was on the ground.

The victim’s mother also told how her daughter had arrived home trembling and was unable to hold the glass of water she gave her to drink.