Stolen digger sparks helicopter search on Hampstead Heath
A digger was spirited away from a building site in Hampstead, sparking a full-blown police chase.
Neighbours sounded the alarm at 10.30pm on Tuesday night when a JCB was pinched from a fleet of industrial trucks parked up in Willoughby Road. The getaway driver made it as far as the Vale of Health along East Heath Road before police response teams caught up with it.
When officers approached the stationary vehicle at a set of temporary traffic lights, a man standing nearby fled into the undergrowth on Hampstead Heath to escape the police.
Officers called for back-up and a Met Police helicopter was scrambled.
One eyewitness said: “There was a big commotion outside with police everywhere and the digger just sitting there. It was still there in the morning.
You may also want to watch:
“Why try to steal a digger?”
Using thermal imaging from the helicopter, officers traced a man who was hiding on the Vale of Health.
- 1 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 2 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 3 Charles de Gaulle's old Hampstead home on sale for £15m
- 4 West Hampstead mum Nazanin 'loses appeal' in Iran
- 5 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 6 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 7 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 8 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 9 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 10 Crouch End drugs raid sees 'cannabis plants and equipment seized'
Police arrested a 24-year-old man and took him to a central London police station for questioning on suspicion of theft of a vehicle.
He was released and is not expected to be charged.
The JCB, belonging to a firm in Leicestershire, was recovered in the morning.