‘Predatory’ pair convicted for St John’s Wood robbery of 90 year-old man

Delaney Foster and Sophie McDonnell have both been convicted of robbery. Picture: Metropolitan Polic

Delaney Foster and Sophie McDonnell have both been convicted of robbery. Picture: Metropolitan Police - Credit: Archant

Two “predatory” people who mugged a 90 year-old man for his pension in St John’s Wood have been found guilty of robbery at Southwark Crown Court.

Delaney Foster, 35 and Sophie McDonnell, 24 were both convicted for the crime which took place as the man entered the lift in a block of flats in Jerome Crescent, St John’s Wood.

At 10 past seven in the morning on November 22, 2017, the man was visiting a friend when Foster and McDonnell approached him from behind and struck him around the back of the head.

After forcing him to the floor, McDonnell then took his wallet, which contained the victim’s pension cash and his bank cards, the court heard.

The victim was unhurt and even tried to chase after his attackers, but was unable to catch them as they made off with his money.

Detective Sergeant Jonathan Bradshaw, from Westminster CID, said: “This was a horrible crime in which the elderly victim was attacked and robbed of his pension money.

“Luckily he sustained no injuries, but he was left badly shaken by the ordeal. This was a cowardly attack on a vulnerable man who was unable to defend himself.”

Most Read

Det Sgt Bradshaw also thanked the public for bringing Foster and Delaney to justice, as Westminster CID were able to make a breakthrough in the case after police issued an appeal to identify the suspects who were caught on CCTV.

Both were arrested as a result of the appeal.

Det Sgt Bradshaw added: “Thankfully the two predatory criminals responsible have been brought to justice. This was as a direct result of the public appeal, which furnished the information we needed.

“I would like to personally thank the public and the media for their support. This case shows what can be achieved by the police and community working together.”

Both guilty parties will be sentenced at Southwark Crown Court on a date to be confirmed.