St John’s Wood butcher charged with human trafficking and rape
A St John’s Wood butcher and his wife have been charged with human trafficking offences after an Indian woman was allegedly trafficked into the UK from Hyderabad.
Three couples, including the St John’s Wood pair, were yesterday (Thursday, May 17) charged with crimes including rape, trafficking and threatening to kill a 37-year-old woman allegedly brought into the country for exploitation.
Enkarta Balapovi, 53, a butcher from St John’s Wood has been charged with five counts of rape and one count of trafficking within the UK for exploitation.
His shop worker wife Shanaz Begum, 56, has also been charged with two counts of trafficking – one into the UK and one within Britain.
Shashi Kala Obhrai, 53 an optician from Northwood, Middlesex, has been charged with trafficking, actual bodily harm and threatening to kill the woman.
You may also want to watch:
Her 58-year-old husband Balram Kumar Obhrai, 58, has been charged with trafficking and threats to kill.
Aleemuddin Mohammed, 44, a supermarket manager from Harrow, has been charged with trafficking and sexual assault while his wife Shamina Yousuf, 42, a secretary, has been charged with trafficking and actual bodily harm.
- 1 'Picture of health': Mum's tribute to son who died of sudden cardiac arrest
- 2 Piers Plowright: 'An extraordinary force, devoted to Hampstead'
- 3 The Vagina Museum searches for new home as Camden Market leases end
- 4 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 5 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes given the green light
- 6 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 7 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 8 Barnet Council called in bailiffs over non-existent council tax bill
- 9 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 10 Watchdog upholds 27 complaints over 'systemic' failures by Haringey Council
All six are due to appear at Westminster Magistrates Court on bail on Thursday, June 7.