St John’s Wood butcher charged with human trafficking and rape
A St John’s Wood butcher and his wife have been charged with human trafficking offences after an Indian woman was allegedly trafficked into the UK from Hyderabad.
Three couples, including the St John’s Wood pair, were yesterday (Thursday, May 17) charged with crimes including rape, trafficking and threatening to kill a 37-year-old woman allegedly brought into the country for exploitation.
Enkarta Balapovi, 53, a butcher from St John’s Wood has been charged with five counts of rape and one count of trafficking within the UK for exploitation.
His shop worker wife Shanaz Begum, 56, has also been charged with two counts of trafficking – one into the UK and one within Britain.
Shashi Kala Obhrai, 53 an optician from Northwood, Middlesex, has been charged with trafficking, actual bodily harm and threatening to kill the woman.
Her 58-year-old husband Balram Kumar Obhrai, 58, has been charged with trafficking and threats to kill.
Aleemuddin Mohammed, 44, a supermarket manager from Harrow, has been charged with trafficking and sexual assault while his wife Shamina Yousuf, 42, a secretary, has been charged with trafficking and actual bodily harm.
- 1 Bus collides with lamppost in Muswell Hill crash
- 2 Stephen Mangan has Crouch End pupils 'in stitches'
- 3 Developer told to dig up granite slabs at Hornsey Town Hall Square
- 4 George Michael estate helps fund Highgate Christmas lights
- 5 Hampstead Heath to host first Christmas Fayre
- 6 Christmas at Kenwood feels like walking in a winter wonderland
- 7 Deliveroo puts in retrospective application for permanent 'dark kitchen'
- 8 Villa Bianca brings the Christmas cheer to Hampstead
- 9 Covid-19: Omicron cases confirmed in Haringey and Barnet
- 10 Infected Blood Inquiry: Transfusion centre was 'disaster zone'
All six are due to appear at Westminster Magistrates Court on bail on Thursday, June 7.