St John’s Wood butcher charged with human trafficking and rape
A St John’s Wood butcher and his wife have been charged with human trafficking offences after an Indian woman was allegedly trafficked into the UK from Hyderabad.
Three couples, including the St John’s Wood pair, were yesterday (Thursday, May 17) charged with crimes including rape, trafficking and threatening to kill a 37-year-old woman allegedly brought into the country for exploitation.
Enkarta Balapovi, 53, a butcher from St John’s Wood has been charged with five counts of rape and one count of trafficking within the UK for exploitation.
His shop worker wife Shanaz Begum, 56, has also been charged with two counts of trafficking – one into the UK and one within Britain.
Shashi Kala Obhrai, 53 an optician from Northwood, Middlesex, has been charged with trafficking, actual bodily harm and threatening to kill the woman.
You may also want to watch:
Her 58-year-old husband Balram Kumar Obhrai, 58, has been charged with trafficking and threats to kill.
Aleemuddin Mohammed, 44, a supermarket manager from Harrow, has been charged with trafficking and sexual assault while his wife Shamina Yousuf, 42, a secretary, has been charged with trafficking and actual bodily harm.
- 1 Brian Rose: Who is the London mayoral candidate in the suit on the billboards?
- 2 Armed police search Tube at Finchley Road and find 'imitation' gun
- 3 Teenage girls charged with Hampstead robberies
- 4 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 5 Hampstead Heath bosses look for injunction power to stop bad behaviour
- 6 Lilian Baylis House: Old Decca Studios site for sale, but could become listed
- 7 'Forgotten Rivers' route proposed by The Ramblers
- 8 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 9 The Magdala: US collector digs up pub history from long before Ruth Ellis
- 10 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans
All six are due to appear at Westminster Magistrates Court on bail on Thursday, June 7.