Squatters ‘barricaded’ into West Hampstead empty council office building
- Credit: Archant
Squatters are currently believed to have barricaded themselves into a former council building in West Hampstead after an eviction order was served.
Squatters are currently believed to be barricaded into a former council building in West Hampstead after an eviction order was served.
Members of the Camden Mothership group have been told to vacate the premises in West End Lane, where they have been for more than two weeks.
The group was given an eviction order after a court hearing this morning.
Councillor Theo Blackwell, who is responsible for finance and technology said: “We are disappointed that we have had to take legal action and would have preferred to reach an amicable agreement where the squatters left voluntarily, but we are pleased that the judge agreed with us.
You may also want to watch:
“If these professional squatters were as genuinely interested in serving the community as they claim – they would have attempted to discuss the use of the building not illegally break into our building, waste taxpayers money and negotiate through the media.
“Instead of this circus, what the people of Camden are crying out for at a time of huge government cuts is more homes and money to invest in services we already have in the area.
- 1 Armed police search Tube at Finchley Road and find 'imitation' gun
- 2 Brian Rose: Who is the London mayoral candidate in the suit on the billboards?
- 3 Teenage girls charged with Hampstead robberies
- 4 Camden Council seeks to honour Covid-19 pandemic heroes
- 5 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 6 Hampstead Heath bosses look for injunction power to stop bad behaviour
- 7 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans
- 8 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 9 Mary Feilding Guild: New Highgate owner claims 'widespread Legionella'
- 10 HIV 'progress is stalling' says Royal Free doctor who consulted on It's A Sin
“We will now give the squatters their final chance to do the right thing and hope that they will return the premises to Camden immediately to prevent further action and cost.”