Squatters ‘barricaded’ into West Hampstead empty council office building
- Credit: Archant
Squatters are currently believed to have barricaded themselves into a former council building in West Hampstead after an eviction order was served.
Squatters are currently believed to be barricaded into a former council building in West Hampstead after an eviction order was served.
Members of the Camden Mothership group have been told to vacate the premises in West End Lane, where they have been for more than two weeks.
The group was given an eviction order after a court hearing this morning.
Councillor Theo Blackwell, who is responsible for finance and technology said: “We are disappointed that we have had to take legal action and would have preferred to reach an amicable agreement where the squatters left voluntarily, but we are pleased that the judge agreed with us.
You may also want to watch:
“If these professional squatters were as genuinely interested in serving the community as they claim – they would have attempted to discuss the use of the building not illegally break into our building, waste taxpayers money and negotiate through the media.
“Instead of this circus, what the people of Camden are crying out for at a time of huge government cuts is more homes and money to invest in services we already have in the area.
- 1 Keepers read bedtime 'tails' from London Zoo during closure
- 2 Apology to Barnet mother for 'embarrassing' food parcel
- 3 Hampstead vaccination centre shoots for 1,000 daily Covid jabs
- 4 Kentish Town café fundraises to keep community spirit alive
- 5 Free Nazanin: Calls for clarity as West Hampstead mum's sentence draws to a close
- 6 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 7 Hampstead families aim to raise £50,000 to feed Royal Free medics
- 8 Maida Vale florist starts weekly subscription to brighten lockdown
- 9 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 10 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
“We will now give the squatters their final chance to do the right thing and hope that they will return the premises to Camden immediately to prevent further action and cost.”