Golf club suspends two men after Muswell Hill councillor is racially abused on Northern line train
A golf club has suspended two of its members after a Haringey councillor was subjected to a racist tirade on a Tube train.
Cllr Julia Ogiehor told the Ham&High two men launched a vile 15-minute rant against her while she made her way home on the Northern line on Friday night. The Lib Dem councillor for Muswell Hill took a photo while they repeatedly asked her: "Where do you come from?"
One of the men pictured was wearing a shirt bearing the South Hertfordshire Golf Club logo. This morning the club released a statement on Twitter announcing it had suspended "individuals" while a police investigation takes place.
It said: "Following an incident involving two men on the London Underground, one of whom was wearing a shirt with a South Herts club logo, the club has been co-operating with the British Transport Police since early Saturday morning and given the seriousness of the allegations, the club has suspended the membership of the two individuals concerned pending the outcome of the police enquiry.
"South Herts prides itself on its diverse and all-inclusive membership and categorically denounce racism of any kind and under any circumstances.
You may also want to watch:
"No further communications on this matter will be published until the police have concluded their investigations."
Rumours also persisted on social media over the weekend that one of the men worked for Virgin Media. However a spokesperson confirmed to the Ham&High that neither had ever been an employee there.
- 1 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 2 West Hampstead mum Nazanin 'loses appeal' in Iran
- 3 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 4 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 5 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 6 The Outsider: Residents take aim at plans for high street pub
- 7 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 8 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 9 Charles de Gaulle's old Hampstead home on sale for £15m
- 10 Flick Rea: Community celebrates 'Empress of West Hampstead'
The British Transport Police told the Ham&High this morning that a number of enquiries are being made, but there have been no arrests.
Anyone with information is asked to contact BTP by texting 61016 or calling 0800 40 50 40 quoting reference number 37 of June 22.