Smash and grab at Golders Green jewellery shop foiled by undercover police
- Credit: Archant
Two men have been arrested after a dramatic smash and grab attempt at a jewellery shop in Golders Green was foiled by undercover police yesterday afternoon.
Officers on patrol in an unmarked police car spotted a “high-powered” motorbike drive onto the pavement and ram the front door of Wagonmark pawnbrokers in North End Road.
The incident, which happened at about 3.45pm, saw one 45-year-old male officer receive a head injury whilst detaining one of the suspects. He has been taken to a north London hospital and his injury is not believed to be serious.
Members of the Jewish neighbourhood watch group Shomrim were said to have also assisted the police in the arrests.
The group tweeted: “Smash and grab incident at jewellery shop opposite #Golders Green tube station #Shomrim assisted @MPSBarnet suspects arrested.”
You may also want to watch:
A police spokesman said: “Police were on patrol in an unmarked police vehicle in Golders Green at approximately 15:45hrs on Wednesday, 18 February when they saw a high-powered motorbike drive onto the pavement and smash the front door of a jewellery shop in North End Road, NW11.
“A 23-year-old man has been arrested for robbery and taking a conveyance. He has been taken to a north London police station.
- 1 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 2 'Picture of health': Mum's tribute to son who died of sudden cardiac arrest
- 3 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 4 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 5 The situation in North London as Arsenal come up against Spurs
- 6 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 7 Watchdog upholds 27 complaints over 'systemic' failures by Haringey Council
- 8 E-scooter rider arrested over suspected drug dealing
- 9 Harry Kane: Boyhood club cult status or chase that silverware?
- 10 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
“A 25-year-old man has been arrested for robbery, taking a conveyance, drug offences and assault. He has been taken to a north London police station.
“No other persons are being sought in connection with the incident at this stage.”