Smash and grab at Golders Green jewellery shop foiled by undercover police
- Credit: Archant
Two men have been arrested after a dramatic smash and grab attempt at a jewellery shop in Golders Green was foiled by undercover police yesterday afternoon.
Officers on patrol in an unmarked police car spotted a “high-powered” motorbike drive onto the pavement and ram the front door of Wagonmark pawnbrokers in North End Road.
The incident, which happened at about 3.45pm, saw one 45-year-old male officer receive a head injury whilst detaining one of the suspects. He has been taken to a north London hospital and his injury is not believed to be serious.
Members of the Jewish neighbourhood watch group Shomrim were said to have also assisted the police in the arrests.
The group tweeted: “Smash and grab incident at jewellery shop opposite #Golders Green tube station #Shomrim assisted @MPSBarnet suspects arrested.”
A police spokesman said: “Police were on patrol in an unmarked police vehicle in Golders Green at approximately 15:45hrs on Wednesday, 18 February when they saw a high-powered motorbike drive onto the pavement and smash the front door of a jewellery shop in North End Road, NW11.
“A 23-year-old man has been arrested for robbery and taking a conveyance. He has been taken to a north London police station.
- 1 Dentist guilty of 'attempted sexual communication with a child'
- 2 Mayor of Haringey racially abused after Christmas event
- 3 Henrietta Barnett rated second best state school in the UK
- 4 Rainbow George: Hampstead 'dreamer' dies at 81
- 5 Hornsey Tavern to reopen as Irish sports pub
- 6 Out with Cafe Hampstead... in comes Oak & Poppy
- 7 Piano shop at risk of closure over business rates dispute
- 8 John Lewis Christmas advert: The Golders Green teenager who met an alien
- 9 Primrose Hill: Menorah vandalised in hate crime incident
- 10 10 suspected north London drug dealers arrested in dawn raids
“A 25-year-old man has been arrested for robbery, taking a conveyance, drug offences and assault. He has been taken to a north London police station.
“No other persons are being sought in connection with the incident at this stage.”