Shoplifter jailed for stealing 135 condoms from Boots in Euston
- Credit: Archant
A shoplifter has been locked up for swiping more than 100 condoms from a train station chemist.
Romans Eglitis was jailed for 12 weeks for stealing 135 “thin feel” condoms in 45 packets – worth £134.55 – from a branch of Boots at Euston station on September 10.
The 40-year-old, of Amwell Street, Finsbury, was sentenced at Highbury Corner Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday having already pleaded guilty to theft.
After the court case, Belsize Park pharmacist Miran Shah, owner of Allchin Pharmacy in England’s Lane, said shoplifting is often a problem for chemists – although condoms are rarely the target at his store.
He said: “We do have shoplifters here, although it has not been a major problem for a while because we know who the main culprits are.
You may also want to watch:
“They take things like razor blades, tights, shower gels and soaps, and anything they can get their hands on.
“They used to come in with big carrier bags and hide in the corner. If you’re not vigilant, they will put it in a bag and walk out.”
- 1 Keepers read bedtime 'tails' from London Zoo during closure
- 2 Apology to Barnet mother for 'embarrassing' food parcel
- 3 Hampstead vaccination centre shoots for 1,000 daily Covid jabs
- 4 Kentish Town café fundraises to keep community spirit alive
- 5 Free Nazanin: Calls for clarity as West Hampstead mum's sentence draws to a close
- 6 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 7 Hampstead families aim to raise £50,000 to feed Royal Free medics
- 8 Maida Vale florist starts weekly subscription to brighten lockdown
- 9 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 10 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's