Shoplifter jailed for stealing 135 condoms from Boots in Euston
- Credit: Archant
A shoplifter has been locked up for swiping more than 100 condoms from a train station chemist.
Romans Eglitis was jailed for 12 weeks for stealing 135 “thin feel” condoms in 45 packets – worth £134.55 – from a branch of Boots at Euston station on September 10.
The 40-year-old, of Amwell Street, Finsbury, was sentenced at Highbury Corner Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday having already pleaded guilty to theft.
After the court case, Belsize Park pharmacist Miran Shah, owner of Allchin Pharmacy in England’s Lane, said shoplifting is often a problem for chemists – although condoms are rarely the target at his store.
He said: “We do have shoplifters here, although it has not been a major problem for a while because we know who the main culprits are.
You may also want to watch:
“They take things like razor blades, tights, shower gels and soaps, and anything they can get their hands on.
“They used to come in with big carrier bags and hide in the corner. If you’re not vigilant, they will put it in a bag and walk out.”
- 1 'Picture of health': Mum's tribute to son who died of sudden cardiac arrest
- 2 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 3 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 4 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 5 Watchdog upholds 27 complaints over 'systemic' failures by Haringey Council
- 6 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 7 E-scooter rider arrested over suspected drug dealing
- 8 The Vagina Museum searches for new home as Camden Market leases end
- 9 Piers Plowright: 'An extraordinary force, devoted to Hampstead'
- 10 'Time for banks to share a Crouch End branch'