Shoplifter jailed for stealing 135 condoms from Boots in Euston
- Credit: Archant
A shoplifter has been locked up for swiping more than 100 condoms from a train station chemist.
Romans Eglitis was jailed for 12 weeks for stealing 135 “thin feel” condoms in 45 packets – worth £134.55 – from a branch of Boots at Euston station on September 10.
The 40-year-old, of Amwell Street, Finsbury, was sentenced at Highbury Corner Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday having already pleaded guilty to theft.
After the court case, Belsize Park pharmacist Miran Shah, owner of Allchin Pharmacy in England’s Lane, said shoplifting is often a problem for chemists – although condoms are rarely the target at his store.
He said: “We do have shoplifters here, although it has not been a major problem for a while because we know who the main culprits are.
You may also want to watch:
“They take things like razor blades, tights, shower gels and soaps, and anything they can get their hands on.
“They used to come in with big carrier bags and hide in the corner. If you’re not vigilant, they will put it in a bag and walk out.”
- 1 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 2 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 3 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 4 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 5 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 6 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 7 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 8 Hampstead to trial unobtrusive electric vehicle charging points
- 9 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
- 10 Pressure mounts on Jose Mourinho Spurs as his former club Man United