Shop fined over mouse and rat droppings
A MAIDA Vale shop owner has been given a community service order after evidence of rodents were found in his store.
Shabir Hussain, owner of One Nation Food and Wine on Kilburn Lane, was prosecuted after Westminster environmental health officers found many of the shop’s ready-to-eat products contaminated with rodent hair.These included snacks such as Wotsits, Doritos, Quavers and Polo mints.
Hussain was sentenced at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday for breaching food standards. He was issued with a �1,000 fine and ordered to carry out 100 hours of community service.
He was also warned that if he did not fully co operate with his probation officer he would be re-sentenced and ordered to pay costs of �3,517.
Service manager for food, health and safety at Westminster Council, Richard Block said: “Having premises kept in such a condition is unacceptable and we will always take action immediately to ensure the public are protected from food poisoning.”
The visit by Westminster Council last year found the shop had several breaches of the Food Hygiene regulations. Rat and mice droppings were discovered on the shop floor behind boxes containing crisps and underneath shelves storing sweets.