Selfridges ‘smash and grab’ getaway bikes found in Paddington
- Credit: PA
A pair of getaway bikes used in the audacious “smash and grab” raid in Selfridges last night have been recovered by police in Paddington.
An axe-wielding gang dressed in burkhas made their way into the world-famous department store in Oxford Street at 8.30pm last night, smashed glass cabinets and stole a number of high-value watches.
The six-strong gang fled the shop and made off on mopeds and motorbikes with other accomplices. Armed police were dispatched as the terrifying raid took place, and officers caught up with two suspects after they fell off their moped at the junction of Goodge Street and Charlotte Street, Fitzrovia.
Brave members of the public detained them at the scene until the police arrived, and a number of watches were found in the vicinity.
No shots were fired. One of the men remains in hospital with a fractured leg, the other is in police custody.
You may also want to watch:
Det Con Insp Andy Noyes, from the Metropolitan Police Flying Squad, said: “We are at an early stage in our investigation, but I would like to hear from anyone who was on Oxford Street last night or nearby who may have seen the robbery or the men making their escape.
“This was a brazen robbery, and appears to have been well planned and thought through. Fortunately no one was injured. The store was very busy and this will have been a shocking thing for people to witness.
- 1 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 4 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 5 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 6 Hampstead robberies: Inside the police chase which caught 8 violent criminals
- 7 Tottenham boss Mourinho unsure on extent of Harry Kane's injury
- 8 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 9 Hampstead Literary Society launched - and looking for exciting writers
- 10 Hampstead Ballet School star wins place at Bolshoi academy in Moscow
“I’d like to thank those members of the public who stepped in and detained our two suspects. Their quick thinking and brave actions have helped our investigation.”
The exact value of what has been stolen is still being established. Police are still interviewing eyewitnesses and seizing CCTV, while extra officers are manning the Oxford Street area.
Selfridges posted a message on Twitter after the incident which read: “Hi, we just want to let you know that everyone is safe and the police are investigating. We will update you once we have more information.”
Detectives want to hear from anyone who was in or around Selfridges last night who witnessed the robbery, or may have seen the men in the time running up to the robbery or as they made their escape. This robbery will have taken planning and preparation and there may be people who think they know who was responsible. Anyone with any information is asked to call Crimestoppers, which can be done anonymously, on 0800 555 111.