Second woman arrested over fatal stabbing of Shakira Mercedes in Chalk Farm
- Credit: Archant
Detectives investigating the fatal stabbing of Shakira Mercedes in Chalk Farm have arrested a second person
A 26-year-old woman was arrested on suspicion of murder on Thursday. She has been taken to an east London police station where she remains for questioning.
Earlier in the week a 35-year-old woman was arrested on suspicion of murder and has since been released under investigation.
Police were called to Belmont Street at 11.10pm to reports of a stabbing. She was treated by officers and paramedics but died at the scene.
A formal identification is yet to take place, but police are confident they know her identity and next-of-kin have been informed. She has been named locally as Shakira Mercedes.
You may also want to watch:
A post-mortem was held yesterday and found the cause of death to be a single stab wound. Formal identification will take place today.
Two other women were found at the scene with slash injuries that are not thought to be life threatening. They have been taken to hospital where they have since been discharged.
- 1 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 2 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 3 Charitable hospital set to open new £35m wing
- 4 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 5 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 6 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 7 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 8 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 9 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 10 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
Anyone with information is asked to call police on 0208 345 3375. Alternatively, they can call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.