Second woman arrested over fatal stabbing of Shakira Mercedes in Chalk Farm
- Credit: Archant
Detectives investigating the fatal stabbing of Shakira Mercedes in Chalk Farm have arrested a second person
A 26-year-old woman was arrested on suspicion of murder on Thursday. She has been taken to an east London police station where she remains for questioning.
Earlier in the week a 35-year-old woman was arrested on suspicion of murder and has since been released under investigation.
Police were called to Belmont Street at 11.10pm to reports of a stabbing. She was treated by officers and paramedics but died at the scene.
A formal identification is yet to take place, but police are confident they know her identity and next-of-kin have been informed. She has been named locally as Shakira Mercedes.
A post-mortem was held yesterday and found the cause of death to be a single stab wound. Formal identification will take place today.
Two other women were found at the scene with slash injuries that are not thought to be life threatening. They have been taken to hospital where they have since been discharged.
- 1 Major tube strike to follow Queen's Platinum Jubilee long weekend
- 2 Barnet leader pledges council tax rebate and an end to outsourcing
- 3 Walking book club: Hampstead Heath, Death and The Penguin
- 4 Belsize Village restaurant hires young Ukrainian refugee
- 5 Camden teacher's cycle ride to find a cure for daughter's 'sleeping beauty' syndrome
- 6 Covid: Slight rise in admissions but fewer patients in hospital overall
- 7 Calls to make road in front of a Highgate school safer
- 8 VOTE: Which north London fish and chip shop is your favourite?
- 9 Two-year waitlist for mental health patients at Tavistock Centre
- 10 Calls for removal of South End Green phone box
Anyone with information is asked to call police on 0208 345 3375. Alternatively, they can call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.