‘Robbery’ at Hampstead post office
- Credit: Archant
Police were called to Hampstead High Street this afternoon after reports of a robbery at the post office.
A witness described how a man ran out of the post office carrying a bag and, as he escaped, he hit the security guard in the face who collapsed to the ground bleeding.
Mohammed Khan was posting a parcel at the time.
He said: “There was a scuffle and then I heard cries and shouts and saw a man running away. I tried to trip him up and then chased him down the road with the security guard. The guard collapsed after he was struck and I ran as fast as I could but I couldn’t keep up.”
He added: “I don’t know if he had a weapon. When you have a gut feeling you don’t think, you just do it.”
You may also want to watch:
Police confirmed they were called to the scene of the incident at 1.42 this afternoon.
- 1 Famous Hampstead Heath love swan Mrs Newbie dies
- 2 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 3 'Feels like a runway': Hampstead residents call for LED lamp post change
- 4 'Heart of the community': Muswell Hill Library celebrates 90 years
- 5 'Victim-blaming': Disabled woman fears leaving flat after neighbour's abuse
- 6 Man, 26, stabbed in Camden 'fight'
- 7 Italian sandwich bar set to open in Hampstead phone box
- 8 'State pension must be raised or older people face a dismal future'
- 9 Prince William brings environmental Earthshot Prize ceremony to Ally Pally
- 10 'You're welcome here': Best pals, 12, make care packages for Afghan refugees