‘Robbery’ at Hampstead post office
- Credit: Archant
Police were called to Hampstead High Street this afternoon after reports of a robbery at the post office.
A witness described how a man ran out of the post office carrying a bag and, as he escaped, he hit the security guard in the face who collapsed to the ground bleeding.
Mohammed Khan was posting a parcel at the time.
He said: “There was a scuffle and then I heard cries and shouts and saw a man running away. I tried to trip him up and then chased him down the road with the security guard. The guard collapsed after he was struck and I ran as fast as I could but I couldn’t keep up.”
He added: “I don’t know if he had a weapon. When you have a gut feeling you don’t think, you just do it.”
You may also want to watch:
Police confirmed they were called to the scene of the incident at 1.42 this afternoon.
- 1 Hampstead creperies told to close by Camden Council because of 'Covid risk'
- 2 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 3 Ole & Steen bakery set to open in Hampstead's former Café Rouge
- 4 Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta echoes players' support for absent Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- 5 Police mourn 'devoted' Camden constable who died from Covid
- 6 Arsenal face a crucial week as they bid to start pushing on
- 7 Royal Free calls in the army as 'unprecedented' demand continues
- 8 HS2 tunnel protesters evicted in 'siege' outside Euston Station
- 9 We must take the vaccine to protect the BAME community
- 10 MPs challenge Hampstead Heath ponds swimming charges hike