‘Robbery’ at Hampstead post office
- Credit: Archant
Police were called to Hampstead High Street this afternoon after reports of a robbery at the post office.
A witness described how a man ran out of the post office carrying a bag and, as he escaped, he hit the security guard in the face who collapsed to the ground bleeding.
Mohammed Khan was posting a parcel at the time.
He said: “There was a scuffle and then I heard cries and shouts and saw a man running away. I tried to trip him up and then chased him down the road with the security guard. The guard collapsed after he was struck and I ran as fast as I could but I couldn’t keep up.”
He added: “I don’t know if he had a weapon. When you have a gut feeling you don’t think, you just do it.”
You may also want to watch:
Police confirmed they were called to the scene of the incident at 1.42 this afternoon.
- 1 London Assembly elections: Camden, Barnet and Haringey's candidates
- 2 What do you think of the Regent’s Park and Primrose Hill bins?
- 3 Golders Green Hippodrome 'chooses love' at interfaith Covid vaccine drive
- 4 Ibiza comes to Kenwood with meditation and music event for 'healthy hedonists'
- 5 Driver tries to get car insured on phone when stopped by police - Porsche seized
- 6 St John's Wood High Street traders' fears after Harry's closure
- 7 Man stabbed to death at Brent Cross Shopping Centre
- 8 Planning application nears for Murphy's Yard redevelopment
- 9 Tree topples onto neighbour's car after South Hampstead winds
- 10 Mikel Arteta must trust Gabriel Martinelli against Villarreal