‘Robbery’ at Hampstead post office
- Credit: Archant
Police were called to Hampstead High Street this afternoon after reports of a robbery at the post office.
A witness described how a man ran out of the post office carrying a bag and, as he escaped, he hit the security guard in the face who collapsed to the ground bleeding.
Mohammed Khan was posting a parcel at the time.
He said: “There was a scuffle and then I heard cries and shouts and saw a man running away. I tried to trip him up and then chased him down the road with the security guard. The guard collapsed after he was struck and I ran as fast as I could but I couldn’t keep up.”
He added: “I don’t know if he had a weapon. When you have a gut feeling you don’t think, you just do it.”
You may also want to watch:
Police confirmed they were called to the scene of the incident at 1.42 this afternoon.
- 1 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 2 Callum Chambers could be Arsenal's starting right-back
- 3 'The euphoria felt like the Summer of Love' – Kaleidoscope at Ally Pally
- 4 Arsenal signing Simone Boye Sorensen says she needed a 'new start'
- 5 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 6 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes set for approval by Camden Council – again
- 7 'Wartime spirit' as residents save shops from flash floods
- 8 On the fringe: Great shows in north London this summer
- 9 Flash floods 'three feet high' leave basement flats 'uninhabitable'
- 10 Thunder and lightning could return to London on Monday