Prince William and Kate Middleton announce their engagement
Is the door open for another local designer to follow in the footsteps of Maida Vale’s Elizabeth Emanuel who designed Princess Diana’s wedding dress?
ALMOST thirty years after Maida Vale fashion designer Elizabeth Emanuel made her name when she designed Princess Diana’s wedding dress, the opportunity may well have arisen for a new designer to take the mantle with today’s announcement that Prince William is to marry Kate Middleton.
The happy couple announced the big news today after the Prince proposed last month and are set to hold the ceremony next year.
Ms Emanuel designed the Princess of Wales’ iconic dress for her 1981 wedding to Prince Charles.
The voluminous outfit featured a 25 foot train and 10,000 pearls which prompted a trend for copycat wedding dresses for years to come.
You may also want to watch:
Speaking previously to the Ham&High, Ms Emanuel says she still values the opportunity the royal wedding gave her.
“It is sometimes like being an actor who’s been typecast, but I’ll never try to distance myself from the Diana thing because it was such a fantastic experience,” she said.
- 1 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 2 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 3 Discovering 'rich' poetry of Hampstead Heath on guided tours
- 4 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 5 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 6 Charitable hospital set to open new £35m wing
- 7 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 8 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 9 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 10 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
With today’s announcement of another royal wedding set for next year, the question is can another local designer make a name for themselves by creating a similar work of art for Miss Middleton?