Police warning over distraction burglars working in West Hampstead
- Credit: Archant
Police in Camden are warning the public to be aware of distraction burglars working in the West Hampstead area.
On Wednesday at approximately 12:30pm a smartly dressed man posing as an official from the water board, called at the home of an elderly woman in Belsize Road, West Hampstead.
He told the woman he was in the area to check on water valves and needed to come into her home.
Whilst he distracted the woman in the kitchen, it is believed a second man entered the property and stole £45 in cash from the victim’s purse which was in another room.
The suspect is described as a white male, smartly dressed wearing a brown long-sleeved shirt, brown trousers and smart shoes.
You may also want to watch:
Det Cons Joel Pailes, of Camden police, said: “Bogus callers come in many guises.
“This is one of many excuses they use to trick their way into the homes of people, usually preying on the elderly and most vulnerable members of our community.
- 1 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 2 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
- 3 'The Bell of Hampstead': New pub to take over Cork and Bottle site
- 4 'It's devastating': Golders Green mother speaks out about rare genetic disease
- 5 Four charged following reports of antisemitism in St John's Wood
- 6 O2 Centre redevelopment: Decision draws on Camden planning guidance
- 7 'Family unit': 28 Church Row wins readers' favourite restaurant
- 8 Discover Crouch End's very own cathedral
- 9 'Lobster-like creature' pulled from Hampstead Heath ladies' pond
- 10 Anger as second audit into £23m 'Mary Celeste' office block is delayed
“I would like to warn everybody to be on their guard and not to let anyone, who calls unexpectedly into your home, even if they do have an identity pass on them.
“Ask them to return when you are with a family member or friend.
“A genuine caller will not mind if you do this.”
Call police immediately on 999 if someone calls at your door who you believe to be suspicious.