Police warning after burglary spike in Highgate
- Credit: Archant
Police have urged residents to make homes more secure after a spate of burglaries in Highgate and Dartmouth Park.
The past week has seen a spike in thieves plundering homes in the Camden half of Highgate, with 11 burglaries in the first two weeks of this month. In August, there were 15 burglaries across the whole month. Thieves are targeting homes near Laurier Road, Chetwynd Road and Westhill Park. No-one has been hurt so far.
The Highgate Safer Neighbourhood Team (SNT) say burglars are getting into homes in three ways: by taking keys through the letterbox by using a tool to fish them through, climbing over garden gates to access the property by the back door, and smashing front doors down.
They advise residents to keep keys far away from the front door, to secure and lock garden gates, and to consider putting in a “London bar” on front doors – which prevents doors giving way to force.
Pc John Hounsell said: “It’s a noticeable rise. Highgate has relatively low crime figures compared to the rest of London but there have been a concerning amount of burglaries.”
You may also want to watch:
Dartmouth Park Neighbourhood Forum committee member Mariachiara Corazza said: “It is worrying because what else can we do? We can put locks on windows and people have burglar alarms. But it’s also true that if they want to get in, they will get in if they are really determined.”
- 1 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 2 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 3 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 4 Highgate reopens: Pubs and salons 'elated' to be back as lockdown eases
- 5 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 6 Child artworks breathe life into Hampstead Heath and Gospel Oak bridge
- 7 Wac Arts: West End stars among ex-students who can 'no longer endorse' charity
- 8 Column: Major changes expected at Tottenham in the summer?
- 9 Crackdown on 'blue badge' disability parking fraud in Haringey
- 10 For sale: Edwardian home in East Finchley with south-facing garden