Police search Hampstead home of Labour peer Lord Greville Janner as part of child sex abuse probe
- Credit: Archant
Police have searched the Hampstead home of a Labour lord as part of investigations into historic child sex abuse allegations.
Leicestershire Police officers searched a luxury flat belonging to Lord Greville Janner, 85, in West Heath Road on Monday and Tuesday.
A spokesman for the force said officers had travelled to Hampstead to carry out the searches earlier this week as part of a probe into historic child sex offences alleged to have taken place in the Leicestershire area.
No arrests have been made as part of the investigation and no one has been interviewed by police.
Lord Janner, a former Labour MP representing Leicester North West and then Leicester West for 27 years, was made a life peer on his retirement from parliament in 1997 as Baron Janner of Braunstone, in Leicestershire.
You may also want to watch:
The father-of-three, whose wife of more than 40 years died in 1996, became a barrister in 1954 and was appointed a QC in 1971.
He is associated with a number of Jewish organisations having served as president of the Board of Deputies of British Jews from 1978 to 1984.
- 1 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 2 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 3 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 4 Hampstead Ballet School star wins place at Bolshoi academy in Moscow
- 5 Slavia Prague v Arsenal: Five Things We Learned
- 6 What's next? Covid-19 and the future of Hampstead Village
- 7 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 8 Hampstead robberies: Inside the police chase which caught 8 violent criminals
- 9 For Nazanin's sake, hostage-taking must be a nuclear deal issue
- 10 Myanmar ambassador pleads for help from Hampstead doorstep
He chairs the Holocaust Educational Trust and is vice president of the World Jewish Congress.
Lord Janner is described on his website as “a key international figure in efforts to seek compensation and restitution for Holocaust victims”.