Police search Hampstead home of Labour peer Lord Greville Janner as part of child sex abuse probe
- Credit: Archant
Police have searched the Hampstead home of a Labour lord as part of investigations into historic child sex abuse allegations.
Leicestershire Police officers searched a luxury flat belonging to Lord Greville Janner, 85, in West Heath Road on Monday and Tuesday.
A spokesman for the force said officers had travelled to Hampstead to carry out the searches earlier this week as part of a probe into historic child sex offences alleged to have taken place in the Leicestershire area.
No arrests have been made as part of the investigation and no one has been interviewed by police.
Lord Janner, a former Labour MP representing Leicester North West and then Leicester West for 27 years, was made a life peer on his retirement from parliament in 1997 as Baron Janner of Braunstone, in Leicestershire.
You may also want to watch:
The father-of-three, whose wife of more than 40 years died in 1996, became a barrister in 1954 and was appointed a QC in 1971.
He is associated with a number of Jewish organisations having served as president of the Board of Deputies of British Jews from 1978 to 1984.
- 1 London Assembly elections: Camden, Barnet and Haringey's candidates
- 2 What do you think of the Regent’s Park and Primrose Hill bins?
- 3 Golders Green Hippodrome 'chooses love' at interfaith Covid vaccine drive
- 4 Ibiza comes to Kenwood with meditation and music event for 'healthy hedonists'
- 5 Driver tries to get car insured on phone when stopped by police - Porsche seized
- 6 Man stabbed to death at Brent Cross Shopping Centre
- 7 St John's Wood High Street traders' fears after Harry's closure
- 8 Planning application nears for Murphy's Yard redevelopment
- 9 Tree topples onto neighbour's car after South Hampstead winds
- 10 Mikel Arteta must trust Gabriel Martinelli against Villarreal
He chairs the Holocaust Educational Trust and is vice president of the World Jewish Congress.
Lord Janner is described on his website as “a key international figure in efforts to seek compensation and restitution for Holocaust victims”.