Police search Hampstead home of Labour peer Lord Greville Janner as part of child sex abuse probe
- Credit: Archant
Police have searched the Hampstead home of a Labour lord as part of investigations into historic child sex abuse allegations.
Leicestershire Police officers searched a luxury flat belonging to Lord Greville Janner, 85, in West Heath Road on Monday and Tuesday.
A spokesman for the force said officers had travelled to Hampstead to carry out the searches earlier this week as part of a probe into historic child sex offences alleged to have taken place in the Leicestershire area.
No arrests have been made as part of the investigation and no one has been interviewed by police.
Lord Janner, a former Labour MP representing Leicester North West and then Leicester West for 27 years, was made a life peer on his retirement from parliament in 1997 as Baron Janner of Braunstone, in Leicestershire.
You may also want to watch:
The father-of-three, whose wife of more than 40 years died in 1996, became a barrister in 1954 and was appointed a QC in 1971.
He is associated with a number of Jewish organisations having served as president of the Board of Deputies of British Jews from 1978 to 1984.
- 1 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 2 West Hampstead mum Nazanin 'loses appeal' in Iran
- 3 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 4 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 5 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 6 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 7 The Outsider: Residents take aim at plans for high street pub
- 8 Charles de Gaulle's old Hampstead home on sale for £15m
- 9 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 10 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
He chairs the Holocaust Educational Trust and is vice president of the World Jewish Congress.
Lord Janner is described on his website as “a key international figure in efforts to seek compensation and restitution for Holocaust victims”.