Police investigate alleged sexual assault at Swiss Cottage backpackers’ hostel
- Credit: Archant
Police are investigating claims that a woman was sexually assaulted while staying at a Swiss Cottage backpackers’ hostel.
The woman, who has an automatic right to anonymity due to the nature of the allegation, said she was groped and harrassed by a man on the premises of Palmers Lodge, in College Crescent, over the summer.
She had been visiting London, and - rather than staying with friends as she would usually, she decided to book in at the hostel because she "wanted to have a proper hostel experience".
She told this newspaper: "I had a bad experience in a hostel in Swiss Cottage. I was touched inappropriately.
"They were repeatedly trying to grope me.
You may also want to watch:
"I was a woman travelling alone and this is just disgusting. I want to warn everyone about this."
A Met Police spokesperson confirmed a crime had been reported. They said: "Officers from the Central North Command Unit are investigating an allegation of sexual assault.
- 1 The Vagina Museum searches for new home as Camden Market leases end
- 2 Piers Plowright: 'An extraordinary force, devoted to Hampstead'
- 3 Famous Parliament Hill view still obscured as nesting birds delay work
- 4 Emergency services at Gospel Oak estate over safety concern
- 5 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 6 Barnet Council called in bailiffs over non-existent council tax bill
- 7 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 8 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 9 'Picture of health': Mum's tribute to son who died of sudden cardiac arrest
- 10 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes given the green light
"The victim, a women in in her 30s, informed officers that she had been sexually assaulted at a hostel in Hampstead."
The police said their enquiries are still going on and, as yet, no one has been arrested.
The woman said she had been pushing the hostel to do its own investigation, and in emails seen by this newspaper the hostel confirmed it was carrying out an internal probe.
When contacted by this newspaper a senior member of staff at the hostel said: "We of course take allegations of this nature extremely seriously and are co-operating with the police's investigation."
They declined to comment further about their own investigation into the incident or any steps they may have taken since the report was made.
Palmers Lodge, Swiss Cottage, describes itself as "an award winning boutique hostel in central London housed in a legendary building".
The company also run a second youth hostel in Brondesbury Park.