Police hunt sex attacker who posed as dying millionaire to target women on dating websites
- Credit: Archant
Detectives in Camden are hunting a convicted sex attacker who targeted women on dating websites claiming to be terminally ill with brain cancer and offering to leave them part of his million pound fortune.
They have released images of Christopher Matt, 29, from Camden, who was sentenced to four years in prison after being convicted of sexual assault and fraud by false representation in June 2014.
He disappeared while on licence from jail in September. A police spokesman said: “Since his release he has failed to comply with his licence and it has now been revoked.”
Camden police issued two tweets today appealing for information about Matt.
In the first, from the twitter account @mpscamden, they said: “Christopher Matt, 29. Targets females on dating sites. Claims to be terminally ill & rich #WantedByCamden”
You may also want to watch:
Detectives said: “Matt is known to target women on dating sites and gains their trust by claiming to be terminally ill with a brain tumour.
“He also claims to be a millionaire and promises vast sums of money to his victims as he’s dying and just wants to help people.”
- 1 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 2 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 3 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 4 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned
- 5 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 6 Modern murder mysteries set in the heart of Hampstead
- 7 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 8 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'
- 9 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre
- 10 Highgate parking changes dropped — two years on from uproar
He added: “Matt was known to have travelled extensively, visiting hotels and defrauding his victims in the North West, North East, Midlands and Merseyside areas of England.
Matt was jailed at Southwark Crown Court after admitting a charge of sexual assault and fraud by false representation in June 2014.
He had recieved a ten-month suspended sentence in November 2013 for five other charges of fraud through false representation and another of theft.
Anyone with any information about his whereabouts is asked to call police in Camden Borough on 101, or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or via crimestoppers-uk.org.