Police hunt moped burglars who rammed scooters into Hampstead home
- Credit: Archant
Police are hunting a gang of thugs who robbed a man on his own doorstep after ramming into his home with mopeds.
Officers released an appeal for help today, saying they hope to catch the gang “before someone is seriously hurt”.
The suspects attempted to batter their way into the victim’s home in The Mount, Hampstead, at about 10.30pm on Friday, May 2 – kicking the front door and driving into it with their scooters.
The victim opened the door, at which point one of the robbers attempted to snatch his watch.
As the homeowner tried to fend him off, a second man went into the property and stole a bag.
The culprits then jumped onto two mopeds driven by two others and sped off towards Hampstead.
Police are asking the public for help to trace the suspects.
- 1 The most expensive homes sold in Haringey in November 2021
- 2 'We're proud of what we do': Kossoffs celebrates six months in Kentish Town
- 3 Italian sandwich shop opens in a Hampstead telephone box
- 4 Ex-manager admits defrauding Paddington Sports Club
- 5 'We don't need to drink more coffee' say cafés as Joe & The Juice moves in
- 6 Air ambulance mobilised as boy, 15, knifed in South Hampstead
- 7 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 8 Sexual offence reports at record levels in Camden, Haringey and Barnet
- 9 Ricky Gervais behind new benches for people grieving to 'talk and reflect'
- 10 Fundraising year begins at William IV pub in Hampstead
The two men who approached the victim were between 18 and 25. One was 6ft tall, slim with an Irish accent, the other 6ft 2in and of medium build. One moped was black and the other blue.
Det Con Andy Palmer, of Camden Police’s acquisitive crime unit, said: “I would like to hear from anyone who saw or has information about this incident.
“I am sure this gang is known to certain members of the community so I would urge them to contact police before someone is seriously hurt.”
The incident follows news in February that homes in Hampstead Garden Suburb have been targeted by thieves on mopeds.
Anyone with information is asked to call police on 101 quoting reference 2310672/14 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or crimestoppers-uk.org.