Police calm fears over mystery ‘Astrosnacks’ bars said to be making Highgate kids have ‘severe hallucinations’
- Credit: Archant
Police have played down fears about a “fake snack bar” being sold to kids in Highgate that causes them to be “violently sick and have severe hallucinations”.
Parents have received letters from schools across the capital saying London Trading Standards had warned about them a product named Astrosnacks being sold to children.
“They cause people to be violently sick and have severe hallucinations,” the letter states. “There has been an emergency warning issued by the Metropolitan Police who are currently investigating this issue.
“The key areas that are being targeted are Islington, Archway and Highgate, with reports the focus could be shifting to Camden.”
The fears are believed to have been sparked by one parent, but after failing to track down the person or find anyone in the areas selling the bars, police have moved to reassure people.
You may also want to watch:
A Scotland Yard spokesperson said: “Police have been made aware of an incident involving a possibly fake snack bar called ‘Astrosnacks’.
“No crime report has been made and the allegation has not been substantiated. Police have not been able to speak directly to the parties who were apparently affected.
- 1 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
- 2 Police officer suffers leg injury after BMW stopped during 'routine patrol'
- 3 North London nurses: 1% NHS pay offer is a 'kick in the teeth'
- 4 London elections 2021 live: Latest results as they come in
- 5 Swimmers launch legal challenge to charges at Hampstead Heath Ponds
- 6 Teen charged with killing 21-year-old man in Brent Cross
- 7 Five things we learned from Arsenal's Europa League exit
- 8 'Unacceptable' HGV use by developers in Church Row writes off 3 cars
- 9 Seven things to do in Hampstead and Highgate after May 17
- 10 St John's Wood High Street traders' fears after Harry's closure
As a matter of routine, and to safeguard young people, police have passed this information to schools local to the incident.”
Camden Council said it has contacted schools, and had sought advice from Public Health England.
Anyone with information about Astrosnacks being sold should contact police via 101 reference CAD 5133/05MAR