Police believe man jailed for raping transsexual woman may have attacked others
- Credit: Archant
Police believe a rapist jailed for attacking a transsexual woman more than 10 years ago may be responsible for further sexual offences.
Mohammed Saleem, 43, of St Anthony’s Flats, Aldenham Street, Somers Town, was jailed for eight years last week for raping charity worker Anna Vincent, then 36, in a Camden Town alleyway in 2001.
Saleem was not linked to the crime until a cold case review in 2011 when semen discovered in the alleyway in Underhill Passage, off Camden High Street, was found to be a one-in-a-billion match with his DNA.
Ms Vincent, who had undergone a sex change four years prior to the attack and was still legally regarded as a man, died in 2006.
Following Saleem’s conviction and sentencing at the Old Bailey last Thursday, Det Ch Insp Adam Lowe said: “It is highly likely that Mohammed Saleem has committed further sexual offences and we are releasing his image today in the hope anyone who recognises him as a suspect contacts the Metropolitan Police Serious and Complex Case Team.
You may also want to watch:
“This case demonstrates that the Metropolitan Police Service will continue to investigate serious sexual offences whatever time period has passed.
“In this particular case, it is extremely sad that the victim passed away before her attacker was brought to justice.”
- 1 Highgate mental illness charity sees 'desperation' rise during Covid year
- 2 Two men charged after police find 'gun, cash and drugs' in Brent Cross flat
- 3 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
- 4 Police officer suffers leg injury after BMW stopped during 'routine patrol'
- 5 London elections 2021 live: Latest results as they come in
- 6 North London nurses: 1% NHS pay offer is a 'kick in the teeth'
- 7 'Unacceptable' HGV use by developers in Church Row writes off 3 cars
- 8 Arteta asks Arsenal to use 'pain' to punish West Brom
- 9 Toilets, the Ponds, Streatery, Nazanin and Palestine
- 10 London Assembly elections: Camden, Barnet and Haringey's candidates
Saleem was convicted following a re-trial after a jury was unable to reach a decision in his original trial at the Old Bailey in June.
Anyone with information about Mohammed Saleem is asked to call the Met Police’s Serious and Complex Case Team on 0208 217 6526. To remain anonymous call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.