Police attend bomb scare at Swiss Cottage leisure centre as building is evacuated
- Credit: Archant
Swiss Cottage leisure centre and library have been evacuated after a ‘bomb scare’ at the sports centre this afternoon.
The bomb squad and sniffer dogs are at the centre in Adelaide Road after it was evacuated at about 2.30pm - leaving large crowds of people in sports wear standing around in silver blankets.
Sports centre users said police reportedly received calls about a bomb in a locker and evacuated the building.
Nearby Swiss Cottage Library has also been evacuated and a police cordon has been set up stretching back to Hampstead Theatre in Eton Avenue.
Rhio Jones, 18, from Primrose Hill, who was in the gym for a quick lunch time workout, said: “Everyone has done their best. As soon as we came out we were given the blankets.”
You may also want to watch:
The London Ambulance Service is on scene.
The Ham&High offices, which are next to the leisure centre, have also been evacuated.
- 1 Rabindranath Tagore's Hampstead home on the market for £2.65m
- 2 Artist who captures North London's 'special light'
- 3 Hundreds of activists descend on north London incinerator demanding end to rebuild
- 4 'It's madness': Queues block north London roads amid petrol shortage
- 5 Pure Gym to open in Crouch End
- 6 Hampstead house ravaged by early morning blaze
- 7 Haverstock Hill petrol station 'assault' arrest as motorists queue for fuel
- 8 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 9 Man charged with Haringey murder and victim named
- 10 'We can't afford it': Camden foodbank prepares for spike in demand