Police attend bomb scare at Swiss Cottage leisure centre as building is evacuated
- Credit: Archant
Swiss Cottage leisure centre and library have been evacuated after a ‘bomb scare’ at the sports centre this afternoon.
The bomb squad and sniffer dogs are at the centre in Adelaide Road after it was evacuated at about 2.30pm - leaving large crowds of people in sports wear standing around in silver blankets.
Sports centre users said police reportedly received calls about a bomb in a locker and evacuated the building.
Nearby Swiss Cottage Library has also been evacuated and a police cordon has been set up stretching back to Hampstead Theatre in Eton Avenue.
Rhio Jones, 18, from Primrose Hill, who was in the gym for a quick lunch time workout, said: “Everyone has done their best. As soon as we came out we were given the blankets.”
You may also want to watch:
The London Ambulance Service is on scene.
The Ham&High offices, which are next to the leisure centre, have also been evacuated.
- 1 Lane closure scrapped after high pollution readings double
- 2 Falling stonework narrowly misses outdoor diners at Crouch End cafe
- 3 'Auto-destruction' in a train shed: how the Roundhouse made Camden cool
- 4 British fencing great Richard Kruse announces retirement
- 5 Hampstead bakery sells challah hearts for Mental Health Awareness Week
- 6 Hampstead man jailed for pub 'revenge attack' on Jewish Tory barrister
- 7 New Indian restaurant Ritu to replace Yasmeen Kitchen in St John's Wood
- 8 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
- 9 Camden shouldn't ignore residents, but we need low-traffic neighbourhoods
- 10 Haringey Council leader ousted by rival in Labour group vote