Police appeal after lone woman is allegedly racially abused on Hampstead Heath by four men
- Credit: Met Police
Police are appealing to identify four men after a woman was allegedly racially abused on Hampstead Heath on May 24.
Hamda Issa-Salwe, 26, was walking near the Highgate No. 1 Pond to celebrate Eid at 9pm when she was approached by a group of four young men.
After she refused to stop, the group allegedly hurled a “torrent” of racial insults at her such as “fat gorilla” and “black gorilla”.
Hamda was upset and shocked by the attack but she was able to capture footage of the suspects as they walked away.
The 26-year-old said the incident ruined Eid, her “special day” which would normally be spent celebrating the end of Ramadan surrounded by family and friends.
You may also want to watch:
She called the incident a “violation”, saying: “I just want them to know what they did isn’t funny, it’s not cool and that it’s disgusting.”
Detective Sergeant Sam O’Callaghan said: “For four men to verbally attack a lone female is beyond cowardly.
- 1 Keepers read bedtime 'tails' from London Zoo during closure
- 2 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 3 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 4 Arsenal boss Arteta worried about player burnout
- 5 Crouch End Vampires help feed homeless with soup kitchen fundraiser
- 7 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 8 Rebuilt Carlton Tavern will be 'heart of the community' say hopeful landlords
- 9 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 10 West Hampstead restaurant cooks for NHS carers
“The incident has left the victim shaken and nervous of being outside alone.
“If you can name any of the males shown in the images, or if you witnessed the incident but haven’t yet spoken with police, please contact us immediately.”
Anyone with information can contact Camden police on 101 quoting 2313537/20, Tweet @MetCC or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or visit crimestoppers-uk.org.