Police appeal for information after two knifepoint supermarket robberies
- Credit: Archant
A security guard was stabbed in the leg and hand during a robbery on Tuesday.
Detectives are investigating after two knifepoint robberies at supermarkets in as many days, one of which saw a security guard stabbed.
The first, outside Sainsbury’s in Golders Green, saw moped thieves rob a security guard who was delivering cash just before 11am on Tuesday.
In the process of the robbery, the guard, a man in his 30s, was stabbed in the leg and his hand.
He was rushed to hospital in central London. His injuries are not thought to be life-threatening.
You may also want to watch:
The three raiders escaped on two mopeds with a cash security box. Hours later, police found it discarded in Wildwood Road, empty, at the junction with Hampstead Way.
A spokeswoman for Sainsbury’s said: “We can confirm there was an incident at our Golders Green store and we’re supporting the police with their investigation.”
- 1 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 2 'Body blow': Crouch End NatWest bank to close
- 3 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes set for approval by Camden Council – again
- 4 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 5 Source Bulk Foods health store opens in Crouch End
- 6 'The council thought asking your view is unnecessary'
- 7 Call for answers after flood 'destroyed parents' love letters and vinyl records'
- 8 'Time for the government to face up to the climate emergency'
- 9 'No one should be aiming to breathe air that is only just legal'
- 10 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
A day later, a Tesco Express branch in Belsize Road, Swiss Cottage, was robbed by two men armed with a knife.
The men, wearing motorcycle helmets, went into the shop and demanded cash at about 6.20pm.
Armed police attended the scene following reports that one of the men was armed with a gun.
They found no gun, but did discover “items believed to be linked to the incident” at Byron Court, opposite the scene of the robbery.
There were no injuries, and no arrests have been made.
A spokesman from Tesco said: “We can confirm a robbery took place in our Belsize Road Express store yesterday evening. We are relieved that no one was injured and are supporting colleagues and customers, as well as assisting the police with their investigation.”
Police told the Ham&High they are not linking the two robberies at this stage.
Cops want anyone who saw anything suspicious, or witnessed either robbery, to call 101 or ring Islington police station directly on 020 8345 0316.