Police appeal for information after two knifepoint supermarket robberies
- Credit: Archant
A security guard was stabbed in the leg and hand during a robbery on Tuesday.
Detectives are investigating after two knifepoint robberies at supermarkets in as many days, one of which saw a security guard stabbed.
The first, outside Sainsbury’s in Golders Green, saw moped thieves rob a security guard who was delivering cash just before 11am on Tuesday.
In the process of the robbery, the guard, a man in his 30s, was stabbed in the leg and his hand.
He was rushed to hospital in central London. His injuries are not thought to be life-threatening.
You may also want to watch:
The three raiders escaped on two mopeds with a cash security box. Hours later, police found it discarded in Wildwood Road, empty, at the junction with Hampstead Way.
A spokeswoman for Sainsbury’s said: “We can confirm there was an incident at our Golders Green store and we’re supporting the police with their investigation.”
- 1 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 2 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 3 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 4 Slavia Prague v Arsenal: Five Things We Learned
- 5 Hampstead Ballet School star wins place at Bolshoi academy in Moscow
- 6 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 7 What's next? Covid-19 and the future of Hampstead Village
- 8 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 9 Hampstead robberies: Inside the police chase which caught 8 violent criminals
- 10 For Nazanin's sake, hostage-taking must be a nuclear deal issue
A day later, a Tesco Express branch in Belsize Road, Swiss Cottage, was robbed by two men armed with a knife.
The men, wearing motorcycle helmets, went into the shop and demanded cash at about 6.20pm.
Armed police attended the scene following reports that one of the men was armed with a gun.
They found no gun, but did discover “items believed to be linked to the incident” at Byron Court, opposite the scene of the robbery.
There were no injuries, and no arrests have been made.
A spokesman from Tesco said: “We can confirm a robbery took place in our Belsize Road Express store yesterday evening. We are relieved that no one was injured and are supporting colleagues and customers, as well as assisting the police with their investigation.”
Police told the Ham&High they are not linking the two robberies at this stage.
Cops want anyone who saw anything suspicious, or witnessed either robbery, to call 101 or ring Islington police station directly on 020 8345 0316.