Police appeal after woman raped in Camden
- Credit: Archant
Detectives have released a CCTV image of a man they would like to speak to in connection with a rape in Camden.
A young woman in her 20’s was walking along Camden High Street at about 9:50pm on December 27 when she stopped for a cigarette outside the Camden Head pub, police said.
An unknown man approached her and the two spoke for a while and then went in the pub.
When the victim decided to leave to go home at 11.15pm, the man also left the pub and started to follow her.
Officers said she tried to get away from the man, and pushed him away several times, but he grabbed her and forced her into an alleyway where he assaulted and raped her.
You may also want to watch:
The victim continually screamed for help and the man eventually fled the scene in the direction of Mornington Crescent Underground Station.
Witnesses who were alerted by the victim’s screams then called the police.
- 1 London Assembly elections: Camden, Barnet and Haringey's candidates
- 2 Swimmers launch legal challenge to charges at Hampstead Heath Ponds
- 3 Matt Hancock to give evidence at Infected Blood Inquiry
- 4 'Unacceptable' HGV use by developers in Church Row writes off 3 cars
- 5 Brent Cross Shopping Centre stabbing victim named
- 6 North London nurses: 1% NHS pay offer is a 'kick in the teeth'
- 7 Home of the week: Charming Victorian home for sale in Stroud Green
- 8 Seven things to do in Hampstead and Highgate after May 17
- 9 Golders Green Hippodrome 'chooses love' at interfaith Covid vaccine drive
- 10 Hampstead woman's mission to bring greater racial equality in education
The victim was taken to Haven, a specialist unit for victims of rape and sexual assault, and was supported by specialist officers.
Detectives are now keen to trace the man in the CCTV.
He is described as white, aged in his mid 20s, about 5ft 7ins, of slim build, with short dark hair.
DC Jonny Rodgers, the investigating officer from the Met’s sexual offences, exploitation and child abuse command said: “This is a very busy area and there were many people around with it being the festive period. Do you remember seeing this man on the evening of 27 December?
“I would urge anyone who recognises the man in the CCTV to contact us as a matter of urgency, it is very important that we identify and speak to him.”
Anyone with information or any witnesses should call DC Rodgers on 07342 071 319 or the police on 101 or via Twitter @MetCC.
Information can also be reported anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or online at www.crimestoppers-uk.org