Police and schools warn of ‘stranger danger’ in Highgate Woods
- Credit: PA WIRE
Officers have stepped up patrols after children were approached by a man who wanted them to follow him
A mother reported that her children were approached by a man who asked them to come with him.
Police confirmed the incident took place on Saturday at 9am at the Cranley Gate of Highgate Woods.
A letter has been circulated around Highgate schools warning parents and carers to stay alert to any suspicious activity and quoting a mother whose children were approached.
The mother said: “My children were approached by a man at the weekend who wanted them to go with him.
You may also want to watch:
“They said no, and then shouted it again when he asked them again.
“They were on bikes and I was walking a couple of minutes behind in Highgate Woods on Saturday morning.
- 1 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 2 What's next? Covid-19 and the future of Hampstead Village
- 3 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 4 Hampstead Ballet School star wins place at Bolshoi academy in Moscow
- 5 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 6 Slavia Prague v Arsenal: Five Things We Learned
- 7 Hampstead robberies: Inside the police chase which caught 8 violent criminals
- 8 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 9 For Nazanin's sake, hostage-taking must be a nuclear deal issue
- 10 Myanmar ambassador pleads for help from Hampstead doorstep
“He was over six foot tall and dressed in high-vis workmen’s clothes.
“Dark hair with stubble and a foreign accent.”
Highgate Village Pc Allan Greig said the police had not been alerted to any other similar suspicious incidents.
Pc Greig said: “Patrols are being conducted and will continue to be carried out and our advice to members of the public is to telephone police at the time if they have seen anyone lurking or loitering in or near the Woods in a suspicious manner.”
Haringey police, Highgate Safer Neighbourhood Team, Highgate Wood Wardens and the Heath Constabulary are aware of the incident.