Police and schools warn of ‘stranger danger’ in Highgate Woods
- Credit: PA WIRE
Officers have stepped up patrols after children were approached by a man who wanted them to follow him
A mother reported that her children were approached by a man who asked them to come with him.
Police confirmed the incident took place on Saturday at 9am at the Cranley Gate of Highgate Woods.
A letter has been circulated around Highgate schools warning parents and carers to stay alert to any suspicious activity and quoting a mother whose children were approached.
The mother said: “My children were approached by a man at the weekend who wanted them to go with him.
You may also want to watch:
“They said no, and then shouted it again when he asked them again.
“They were on bikes and I was walking a couple of minutes behind in Highgate Woods on Saturday morning.
- 1 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 2 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes set for approval by Camden Council – again
- 3 'Body blow': Crouch End NatWest bank to close
- 4 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 5 Source Bulk Foods health store opens in Crouch End
- 6 'The council thought asking your view is unnecessary'
- 7 Call for answers after flood 'destroyed parents' love letters and vinyl records'
- 8 'Time for the government to face up to the climate emergency'
- 9 'No one should be aiming to breathe air that is only just legal'
- 10 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
“He was over six foot tall and dressed in high-vis workmen’s clothes.
“Dark hair with stubble and a foreign accent.”
Highgate Village Pc Allan Greig said the police had not been alerted to any other similar suspicious incidents.
Pc Greig said: “Patrols are being conducted and will continue to be carried out and our advice to members of the public is to telephone police at the time if they have seen anyone lurking or loitering in or near the Woods in a suspicious manner.”
Haringey police, Highgate Safer Neighbourhood Team, Highgate Wood Wardens and the Heath Constabulary are aware of the incident.