Millionaire Hampstead tycoon Robert Ekaireb jailed for life for murder of pregnant wife
- Credit: Archant
A millionaire property developer convicted of killing his pregnant wife has been jailed for life.
Robert Ekaireb, 39, was handed a life sentence at the Old Bailey today for murdering his Chinese bride Li Hua Cao, 27, in their luxury Hampstead apartment in October 2006 - just three months into their marriage.
Judge Nicholas Cooke QC ordered Ekaireb to serve at least 22 years before he could be considered for release, citing his refusal to reveal the whereabouts of Ms Cao’s body as an aggravating factor.
Sentencing Ekaireb, the judge said: “The evidence in this case and the trial process exposed you as a callous, manipulative and selfish hypocrite.”
Ekaireb, who denied murder, was convicted last month after a two-month trial at the Old Bailey.
You may also want to watch:
The court heard he murdered Ms Cao after months of jealousy and paranoia about her past as a lapdancer before having their flat in Pavilion Court on the gated Mount Vernon estate, in Frognal Rise, Hampstead, redecorated and recarpeted the next day.
Ms Cao was 19 weeks pregnant when she disappeared and was finally reported missing by her brother in February 2007.
- 1 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 4 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 5 Highgate reopens: Pubs and salons 'elated' to be back as lockdown eases
- 6 Child artworks breathe life into Hampstead Heath and Gospel Oak bridge
- 7 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 8 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 9 Wac Arts: West End stars among ex-students who can 'no longer endorse' charity
- 10 Locals celebrate as the Carlton Tavern finally re-opens
He was in court today having travelled from Denmark to see his sister’s killer jailed.