Millionaire Hampstead tycoon Robert Ekaireb jailed for life for murder of pregnant wife
- Credit: Archant
A millionaire property developer convicted of killing his pregnant wife has been jailed for life.
Robert Ekaireb, 39, was handed a life sentence at the Old Bailey today for murdering his Chinese bride Li Hua Cao, 27, in their luxury Hampstead apartment in October 2006 - just three months into their marriage.
Judge Nicholas Cooke QC ordered Ekaireb to serve at least 22 years before he could be considered for release, citing his refusal to reveal the whereabouts of Ms Cao’s body as an aggravating factor.
Sentencing Ekaireb, the judge said: “The evidence in this case and the trial process exposed you as a callous, manipulative and selfish hypocrite.”
Ekaireb, who denied murder, was convicted last month after a two-month trial at the Old Bailey.
You may also want to watch:
The court heard he murdered Ms Cao after months of jealousy and paranoia about her past as a lapdancer before having their flat in Pavilion Court on the gated Mount Vernon estate, in Frognal Rise, Hampstead, redecorated and recarpeted the next day.
Ms Cao was 19 weeks pregnant when she disappeared and was finally reported missing by her brother in February 2007.
- 1 Swimmers find exotic python lurking outside lido
- 2 MP bemoans closure of Lloyds Bank in Muswell Hill
- 3 'Unacceptable': Fury over Crouch End roadworks diverting W5 bus
- 4 Squares Pizzeria: Authentic Italian meets effortless elegance
- 5 Christmas at Kenwood light trail gets go-ahead
- 6 'Bravery and courage': Fred Barnes plaque unveiled in Maida Vale
- 7 Dusty Springfield to Doris Lessing: A dive into West Hampstead history
- 8 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
- 9 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 10 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
He was in court today having travelled from Denmark to see his sister’s killer jailed.