Two men cleared of Northern Line racism charges after incident with Muswell Hill councillor
- Credit: Archant
Two man accused of racially-aggravated harassment on a Northern Line tube have been acquitted.
Mark Lewis, 53, and Gary Forbes, 49, were on trial over a confrontation with Muswell Hill councillor Julia Ogiehor last June.
On Friday afternoon a jury at Guildford Crown Court found the pair not guilty, while also clearing Mr Lewis of a charge of racially-aggravated common assault.
Earlier the court heard how the incident, on June 21 last year, saw Mr Forbes, of Ballards Lane, Finchley, ask Cllr Ogiehor: “Where are you from?”
During the trial elements of the conversation which happened afterwards were disputed,
You may also want to watch:
The confrontation lasted around ten minutes, as the train travelled between Camden Town where Mr Forbes and Mr Lewis had been drinking, and East Finchley, when Cllr Ogiehor left the carriage.
Mr Lewis, of High Road, Whetstone, was accused of grabbing Cllr Ogiehor’s hand at one stage. He denied this had been intentional, and the jury agreed in clearing him of the assault charge.
- 1 'Picture of health': Mum's tribute to son who died of sudden cardiac arrest
- 2 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 3 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 4 The situation in North London as Arsenal come up against Spurs
- 5 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 6 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 7 Watchdog upholds 27 complaints over 'systemic' failures by Haringey Council
- 8 E-scooter rider arrested over suspected drug dealing
- 9 The Vagina Museum searches for new home as Camden Market leases end
- 10 Helen Allingham's Hampstead watercolour up for auction
Afterwards, Cllr Ogiehor said she was “absolutely devastated” by the verdict.
READ MORE: Defendant denies Northern Line racism, says he spoke to councillor ‘because she was attractive’READ MORE: Men stand trial accused of racially-aggravated harassment of Black councillor on Northern line tube