Man jailed for stabbing woman in face repeatedly
A HOMELESS man from Camden will serve a minimum of two years behind bars for causing grievous bodily harm to a Slovakian woman.
James Costello, 56, was sentenced on Friday at Blackfriars Crown Court for the attack in which he lost his temper and repeatedly stabbed and slashed a Slovakian woman, 45, in the face with a knife.
He and the victim, who were acquaintances, had been drinking together at a hostel in Camden Park Road on the evening of May 31 this year, when at 9.30pm he began the frenzied attack, which left the woman disfigured.
Police administered first aid to the distressed victim, until the arrival of an ambulance.
Det Con Jonathan Standen, of Camden’s Violent Crime Unit, said: “I am pleased that James Costello has been sentenced for this horrific act and that he admitted his guilt, sparing the victim the added ordeal of having to re-live the incident in the courtroom.
You may also want to watch:
“I would like to thank the victim for her strength in providing the necessary evidence and also my colleagues who attended the scene and provided an excellent initial first response.
“Hopefully the community can feel reassured that Mr Costello is now behind bars.”
- 1 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 2 Pictures: Fun for families as the snow arrives on Hampstead Heath
- 3 Covid, O2, police, village square, Notting Hill Genesis and the Suburb
- 4 Man detained after series of attacks on women in Hampstead
- 5 The snow is beautiful and fun - but during Covid we must stick to the rules
- 6 Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta expecting another tough game against Southampton
- 7 South Hampstead neighbours mourn tree felled by Storm Christoph
- 8 Women attacked by wrench-wielding man in Hampstead
- 9 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 10 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council