Man jailed for stabbing woman in face repeatedly
A HOMELESS man from Camden will serve a minimum of two years behind bars for causing grievous bodily harm to a Slovakian woman.
James Costello, 56, was sentenced on Friday at Blackfriars Crown Court for the attack in which he lost his temper and repeatedly stabbed and slashed a Slovakian woman, 45, in the face with a knife.
He and the victim, who were acquaintances, had been drinking together at a hostel in Camden Park Road on the evening of May 31 this year, when at 9.30pm he began the frenzied attack, which left the woman disfigured.
Police administered first aid to the distressed victim, until the arrival of an ambulance.
Det Con Jonathan Standen, of Camden’s Violent Crime Unit, said: “I am pleased that James Costello has been sentenced for this horrific act and that he admitted his guilt, sparing the victim the added ordeal of having to re-live the incident in the courtroom.
You may also want to watch:
“I would like to thank the victim for her strength in providing the necessary evidence and also my colleagues who attended the scene and provided an excellent initial first response.
“Hopefully the community can feel reassured that Mr Costello is now behind bars.”
- 1 Falling stonework narrowly misses outdoor diners at Crouch End cafe
- 2 Lane closure scrapped after high pollution readings double
- 3 Haringey Council leader ousted by rival in Labour group vote
- 4 Obituary: 'Striking and beautiful' north London mother Mary Collins
- 5 Hampstead man jailed for pub 'revenge attack' on Jewish Tory barrister
- 6 'I want to make a difference': new leader for Haringey Council
- 7 Anorexia was nurtured and nourished by lockdown – and the media
- 8 Jack Ampadu killing: Defendant denies murder charge
- 9 In numbers: the Covid-19 vaccine roll-out in north London
- 10 Hundreds oppose Hampstead Heath dog walker licence scheme