Man jailed for stabbing woman in face repeatedly
A HOMELESS man from Camden will serve a minimum of two years behind bars for causing grievous bodily harm to a Slovakian woman.
James Costello, 56, was sentenced on Friday at Blackfriars Crown Court for the attack in which he lost his temper and repeatedly stabbed and slashed a Slovakian woman, 45, in the face with a knife.
He and the victim, who were acquaintances, had been drinking together at a hostel in Camden Park Road on the evening of May 31 this year, when at 9.30pm he began the frenzied attack, which left the woman disfigured.
Police administered first aid to the distressed victim, until the arrival of an ambulance.
Det Con Jonathan Standen, of Camden’s Violent Crime Unit, said: “I am pleased that James Costello has been sentenced for this horrific act and that he admitted his guilt, sparing the victim the added ordeal of having to re-live the incident in the courtroom.
“I would like to thank the victim for her strength in providing the necessary evidence and also my colleagues who attended the scene and provided an excellent initial first response.
“Hopefully the community can feel reassured that Mr Costello is now behind bars.”
- 1 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 2 'Ruining our vibe': Muswell Hill coffee shop divides community opinion
- 3 Motorists handed fines for visiting Covid-19 car park test centre
- 4 Stolen car crashes in Kentish Town leaving woman hospitalised
- 5 'Large cannabis factory’ discovered on Frobisher Road
- 6 Barnet, Camden and Haringey receive boost for low vaccine uptake
- 7 Hampstead Heath past and present at new exhibition of London
- 8 How mental health services are changing in north London
- 9 Pond Street potholes causing 'mini earthquake' and 'damage to homes'
- 10 Ashling Murphy: Camden pays tribute to murdered primary school teacher