Man jailed for stabbing woman in face repeatedly
A HOMELESS man from Camden will serve a minimum of two years behind bars for causing grievous bodily harm to a Slovakian woman.
James Costello, 56, was sentenced on Friday at Blackfriars Crown Court for the attack in which he lost his temper and repeatedly stabbed and slashed a Slovakian woman, 45, in the face with a knife.
He and the victim, who were acquaintances, had been drinking together at a hostel in Camden Park Road on the evening of May 31 this year, when at 9.30pm he began the frenzied attack, which left the woman disfigured.
Police administered first aid to the distressed victim, until the arrival of an ambulance.
Det Con Jonathan Standen, of Camden’s Violent Crime Unit, said: “I am pleased that James Costello has been sentenced for this horrific act and that he admitted his guilt, sparing the victim the added ordeal of having to re-live the incident in the courtroom.
You may also want to watch:
“I would like to thank the victim for her strength in providing the necessary evidence and also my colleagues who attended the scene and provided an excellent initial first response.
“Hopefully the community can feel reassured that Mr Costello is now behind bars.”
- 1 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 2 Hampstead house ravaged by early morning blaze
- 3 Man charged with Haringey murder and victim named
- 4 Haverstock Hill petrol station 'assault' arrest as motorists queue for fuel
- 5 'It's madness': Queues block north London roads amid petrol shortage
- 6 Artist who captures North London's 'special light'
- 7 New Jewish Fringe festival comes to Golders Green
- 8 'We've been forgotten': Homeless Muswell Hill family demand action
- 9 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 10 How did a double-decker bus crash straight into a Crouch End house?