Man charged in connection with Swiss Cottage armed robbery
- Credit: Archant
A man has been charged with an armed robbery in Swiss Cottage which saw staff threatened with a sledgehammer and a handgun.
George Patrick Langley, 45, of Penfold Street, Lisson Grove, appeared at Hendon Magistrates Court on Thursday charged with conspiracy to commit robbery.
Two men stormed into a Western Union branch in Finchley Road just before 1pm on Friday, July 19, brandishing a sledgehammer and a handgun and threatening to shoot members of staff.
One man smashed a glass counter separating staff and customers with the sledgehammer, while the other demanded a terrified worker hand over money.
The pair stole between £8,000 and £10,000 in a mixture of sterling and Euro notes before fleeing the branch and getting into a waiting car in Fitzjohns Avenue, Hampstead.
You may also want to watch:
Langley is due to next appear at Harrow Crown Court on August 8.
- 1 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 2 West Hampstead mum Nazanin 'loses appeal' in Iran
- 3 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 4 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 5 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 6 The Outsider: Residents take aim at plans for high street pub
- 7 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 8 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 9 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 10 Flick Rea: Community celebrates 'Empress of West Hampstead'