Man arrested for racism after anti-Israel posters are put up in Golders Green
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
A man has been arrested on suspicion of putting up a number of posters around Golders Green criticising the state of Israel and calling it a “pious disease”.
Police in Barnet received complaints over what they have deemed “racially offensive stickers” which were displayed around Golders Green bus station and Tube station.
One of the posters seen in Golders Green said: “The State of Israel is a pious disease! If you want peace in the Middle East, revert Israel to a diaspora. Stop the 65 years of folly. CANCEL ISRAEL.”
Another said: “Any moderate leader of Israel will be assassinated by a Zionist. To a Palestinian Israel’s actions are unforgivable. The only option now is to cancel Israel.”
Yesterday, the individual thought to be responsible was seen at the bus station in Golders Green Road and police were called.
You may also want to watch:
A 66-year-old man was then arrested on suspicion of a racially aggravated public order offence.
He remains in custody at a north London police station.
- 1 Burglar of £100k watches and jewellery haul jailed
- 2 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 3 How many trees have been felled in the Parkland Walk?
- 4 Birthday Honours: Period Poverty campaigner Amika George becomes an MBE
- 5 Birthday Honours: Cllr Jonathan Simpson 'astonished' to be made MBE
- 6 Capita review could see Barnet Council services return in-house
- 7 Birthday Honours: Gongs for Arlene Phillips, Jonathan Pryce and Engelbert Humperdinck
- 8 5 days out in London where you can meet the animals
- 9 Food Bank Aid joins estate agent in fight to keep up with demand
- 10 Neighbours fight plan for 'out of character' flats above nursery
Officers from Barnet Community Safety Unit are investigating.
Anyone with information is asked to call 101.