Man arrested for racism after anti-Israel posters are put up in Golders Green
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
A man has been arrested on suspicion of putting up a number of posters around Golders Green criticising the state of Israel and calling it a “pious disease”.
Police in Barnet received complaints over what they have deemed “racially offensive stickers” which were displayed around Golders Green bus station and Tube station.
One of the posters seen in Golders Green said: “The State of Israel is a pious disease! If you want peace in the Middle East, revert Israel to a diaspora. Stop the 65 years of folly. CANCEL ISRAEL.”
Another said: “Any moderate leader of Israel will be assassinated by a Zionist. To a Palestinian Israel’s actions are unforgivable. The only option now is to cancel Israel.”
Yesterday, the individual thought to be responsible was seen at the bus station in Golders Green Road and police were called.
You may also want to watch:
A 66-year-old man was then arrested on suspicion of a racially aggravated public order offence.
He remains in custody at a north London police station.
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 3 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 4 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 Calls for law change after Highgate School sexual abuse allegations
- 6 Arteta: Arsenal have 'responsibility' to qualify for Europe
- 7 Prince Philip remembered in pictures: London Zoo visits and trips to the theatre
- 8 This destruction of a woodland site must be halted
- 9 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 10 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
Officers from Barnet Community Safety Unit are investigating.
Anyone with information is asked to call 101.