Man arrested for racism after anti-Israel posters are put up in Golders Green
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
A man has been arrested on suspicion of putting up a number of posters around Golders Green criticising the state of Israel and calling it a “pious disease”.
Police in Barnet received complaints over what they have deemed “racially offensive stickers” which were displayed around Golders Green bus station and Tube station.
One of the posters seen in Golders Green said: “The State of Israel is a pious disease! If you want peace in the Middle East, revert Israel to a diaspora. Stop the 65 years of folly. CANCEL ISRAEL.”
Another said: “Any moderate leader of Israel will be assassinated by a Zionist. To a Palestinian Israel’s actions are unforgivable. The only option now is to cancel Israel.”
Yesterday, the individual thought to be responsible was seen at the bus station in Golders Green Road and police were called.
You may also want to watch:
A 66-year-old man was then arrested on suspicion of a racially aggravated public order offence.
He remains in custody at a north London police station.
- 1 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 2 O2 Centre redevelopment: Decision draws on Camden planning guidance
- 3 'The Bell of Hampstead': New pub to take over Cork and Bottle site
- 4 Crouch End salesman who nursed mum runs marathon for Diabetes UK
- 5 'Family unit': 28 Church Row wins readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 'Survived the storm': West Hampstead's The Alliance Pub wins reader's poll
- 7 Anger as second audit into £23m 'Mary Celeste' office block is delayed
- 8 Free festival to take over the streets of Camden
- 9 Haringey Green Lanes flat fire sees 40 firefighters tackle blaze
- 10 Christmas at Kenwood: 'Winter wonderland' primed for Hampstead Heath
Officers from Barnet Community Safety Unit are investigating.
Anyone with information is asked to call 101.