Man arrested for racism after anti-Israel posters are put up in Golders Green
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
A man has been arrested on suspicion of putting up a number of posters around Golders Green criticising the state of Israel and calling it a “pious disease”.
Police in Barnet received complaints over what they have deemed “racially offensive stickers” which were displayed around Golders Green bus station and Tube station.
One of the posters seen in Golders Green said: “The State of Israel is a pious disease! If you want peace in the Middle East, revert Israel to a diaspora. Stop the 65 years of folly. CANCEL ISRAEL.”
Another said: “Any moderate leader of Israel will be assassinated by a Zionist. To a Palestinian Israel’s actions are unforgivable. The only option now is to cancel Israel.”
Yesterday, the individual thought to be responsible was seen at the bus station in Golders Green Road and police were called.
A 66-year-old man was then arrested on suspicion of a racially aggravated public order offence.
He remains in custody at a north London police station.
- 1 Police called to 'youth with knife trying to climb school gates'
- 2 Unarmed man shot by police during prison break was ‘lawfully killed’
- 3 Covid: North London hospital admissions rising amid national surge
- 4 Jailed: 9 north London offenders put behind bars in June
- 5 Alexandra Palace: 2 hospitalised in Red Bull's Soapbox Race
- 6 Elvis Presley songwriter and former Ham&High columnist dies aged 82
- 7 'Hostility for LGBT+ people': Mike Freer resigns from Boris Johnson's government
- 8 George Michael’s Highgate piano sells for £200,000
- 9 Night-time fishing suspended at Vale of Health following 'antisocial behaviour'
- 10 Father's fear autistic son will 'dive through' window of unsafe West Hampstead home
Officers from Barnet Community Safety Unit are investigating.
Anyone with information is asked to call 101.