Man arrested for allegedly posing as an officer to abduct Hornsey girls
- Credit: PA Images
Police in Haringey have made an arrest after a man claiming to be a police officer attempted to abduct girls in Hornsey and Crouch End on Monday and Tuesday.
The 28-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of attempting to take a child on Wednesday.
Safer Neighbourhoods and Response Team officers continue to patrol and work in the immediate areas of Hornsey and Crouch End, while local schools officers are remaining at schools in the immediate locality at the relevant times.
Detective Chief Inspector Paul Trevers, from Haringey CID, said: “Haringey does not see this type of offence very often and I want to reassure the community that such instances are incredibly rare.
“Notwithstanding the development of an arrest, I urge any witnesses to come forward so that my team can be sure to identify and prosecute the offender of these awful crimes.
You may also want to watch:
“If you believe you or a loved one is a victim of such a crime, please contact us via 101 and be assured officers will treat you with care and sensitivity and we will do all we can to support you.”
On Monday, four schoolgirls, aged between 11 and 14, were approached by a man in a number of locations in the Hornsey area just before school.
- 1 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 2 'The Bell of Hampstead': New pub to take over Cork and Bottle site
- 3 O2 Centre redevelopment: Decision draws on Camden planning guidance
- 4 'Family unit': 28 Church Row wins readers' favourite restaurant
- 5 Discover Crouch End's very own cathedral
- 6 Four charged following reports of antisemitism in St John's Wood
- 7 Anger as second audit into £23m 'Mary Celeste' office block is delayed
- 8 London Marathon and charity event in aid of Diabetes UK
- 9 'Lobster-like creature' pulled from Hampstead Heath ladies' pond
- 10 Man stabbed on Finchley Road
On Tuesday, another girl was approached in the same way shortly before 8am.
A 10-year-old boy was also approached just before 8am on Tuesday in the Crouch End area.
Some of the children came from Hornsey School for Girls and Highgate Wood School.
The man was not wearing a police uniform but it is understood he identified himself as a police officer.
He is described as black, aged between 20 and 30 years old, and of medium build. He had short dark hair and was wearing a jacket with the hood up.
The man who was arrested was taken into custody and bailed until a later date pending further enquiries.
Anyone with information about the incidents can call police in Haringey via 101, or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or at crimestoppers-uk.org. In an emergency always dial 999.