Man arrested for allegedly posing as an officer to abduct Hornsey girls
- Credit: PA Images
Police in Haringey have made an arrest after a man claiming to be a police officer attempted to abduct girls in Hornsey and Crouch End on Monday and Tuesday.
The 28-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of attempting to take a child on Wednesday.
Safer Neighbourhoods and Response Team officers continue to patrol and work in the immediate areas of Hornsey and Crouch End, while local schools officers are remaining at schools in the immediate locality at the relevant times.
Detective Chief Inspector Paul Trevers, from Haringey CID, said: “Haringey does not see this type of offence very often and I want to reassure the community that such instances are incredibly rare.
“Notwithstanding the development of an arrest, I urge any witnesses to come forward so that my team can be sure to identify and prosecute the offender of these awful crimes.
“If you believe you or a loved one is a victim of such a crime, please contact us via 101 and be assured officers will treat you with care and sensitivity and we will do all we can to support you.”
On Monday, four schoolgirls, aged between 11 and 14, were approached by a man in a number of locations in the Hornsey area just before school.
- 1 Highgate School abuse: Staff had to 'shake themselves out of complacency'
- 2 Seven north London gastropubs voted best in UK
- 3 Mum's Balenciaga handbag 'mistakenly' sold by RSPCA charity shop
- 4 Highgate School to overhaul safeguarding after sexual abuse review
- 5 Boy, 15, rushed to hospital after stabbing in Harringay Sainsbury's carpark
- 6 Boy, 14, charged following Harringay Sainsbury's stabbing
- 7 Crouch End pub calls for dialogue over noise complaints
- 8 'Cover-up': Council withheld evidence from watchdog 'behind leader's back'
- 9 Colourful Crouch End bollards to get a repaint due to 'safety' concerns
- 10 Care home opposite Kenwood labelled 'gross overdevelopment'
On Tuesday, another girl was approached in the same way shortly before 8am.
A 10-year-old boy was also approached just before 8am on Tuesday in the Crouch End area.
Some of the children came from Hornsey School for Girls and Highgate Wood School.
The man was not wearing a police uniform but it is understood he identified himself as a police officer.
He is described as black, aged between 20 and 30 years old, and of medium build. He had short dark hair and was wearing a jacket with the hood up.
The man who was arrested was taken into custody and bailed until a later date pending further enquiries.
Anyone with information about the incidents can call police in Haringey via 101, or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or at crimestoppers-uk.org. In an emergency always dial 999.