Man arrested as he tries giving neighbour’s cat to his mother for Christmas
- Credit: Archant
After spotting a message on Twitter from Barnet Police about a burglar who stole a cat from his neighbour only to give it to his own mother as a Christmas present, we thought it must have been a festive joke at the public’s expense.
The convivial message said: “A burglar was arrested on Xmas day for stealing an expensive cat from his neighbour and giving it to his mother as a present. #pawsforthought”
It all seemed too purrfectly implausible.
But sure enough, the story was confirmed by officers and a cat burglar had been on the prowl in Colindale.
At around 11.30pm on Christmas Day, officers were called to a reported burglary where a 19-year-old woman’s 10-month-old cat had been stolen.
You may also want to watch:
After a short investigation the cat was recovered and returned to its owner.
A 31-year-old man was arrested and has been bailed pending further enquiries.
- 1 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 2 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 3 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 4 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 5 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'
- 6 Highgate School staff must undergo 'anti-sexism training' over summer
- 7 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 8 Vehicles scraped and traffic chaos after width-restriction bollards moved
- 9 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre
- 10 Probe into £23m property deal is like 'a vendetta', says ex-deputy leader
As officers were quick to note, the whole affair should give the person responsible some serious paws for thought.