Man arrested as he tries giving neighbour’s cat to his mother for Christmas
- Credit: Archant
After spotting a message on Twitter from Barnet Police about a burglar who stole a cat from his neighbour only to give it to his own mother as a Christmas present, we thought it must have been a festive joke at the public’s expense.
The convivial message said: “A burglar was arrested on Xmas day for stealing an expensive cat from his neighbour and giving it to his mother as a present. #pawsforthought”
It all seemed too purrfectly implausible.
But sure enough, the story was confirmed by officers and a cat burglar had been on the prowl in Colindale.
At around 11.30pm on Christmas Day, officers were called to a reported burglary where a 19-year-old woman’s 10-month-old cat had been stolen.
After a short investigation the cat was recovered and returned to its owner.
A 31-year-old man was arrested and has been bailed pending further enquiries.
- 1 Ashling Murphy: Camden pays tribute to murdered primary school teacher
- 2 North London road and rail disruptions in the week ahead
- 3 Drug runner caught at Euston with heroin in underwear jailed for four years
- 4 The story of a pond returning to Hampstead Heath
- 5 How a stray Hampstead cat changed the life of artist Louis Wain
- 6 Hampstead retail site snapped up for £7m by property firm
- 7 Guilty: Woman stirred up racial hatred with social media posts on Grenfell
- 8 Cirque du Soleil: Luzia Royal Albert Hall ****
- 9 Fire brigade extinguish St Pancras station electrical fire
- 10 Nine of London's best vegan restaurants to try this Veganuary
As officers were quick to note, the whole affair should give the person responsible some serious paws for thought.