Man arrested as armed police swarm car in West Hampstead
- Credit: Archant
A man has been arrested for possession of an offensive weapon after armed police stopped a car in West Hampstead late last night.
Officers from the specialist firearms command swarmed the car at the junction of Mill Lane and West End Lane at 10.18pm.
The road was closed as police carried out the arrest and search.
Details of weapon(s) recovered have not been released but police said the arrested man has been taken to a police station in north London.
Resident Ian Cohen was walking his dog when the police closed the road.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “The police told everyone to go inside. They were running around looking very busy. They’d blocked the road and I saw two police vans and a police car, while inside the blockade was an unmarked car, a BMW range rover police car and armed police. They wouldn’t let anyone pass through and they said there were police officers with guns there.”
- 1 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 2 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 3 Royal Free's critical care beds 98pc full as Covid-19 cases top 500
- 4 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 5 Hospital staff describe 'distressing' battle against rising Covid cases
- 6 Camden man charged with prostitution offences and sexual exploitation
- 7 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 8 Royal Mail delays in Hornsey 'could see Covid-19 vaccination letters missed'
- 9 Billy Vunipola fails to impress as Saracens lose to Ealing
- 10 One in ten people without symptoms Covid positive at Haringey centres