Man arrested as armed police swarm car in West Hampstead
- Credit: Archant
A man has been arrested for possession of an offensive weapon after armed police stopped a car in West Hampstead late last night.
Officers from the specialist firearms command swarmed the car at the junction of Mill Lane and West End Lane at 10.18pm.
The road was closed as police carried out the arrest and search.
Details of weapon(s) recovered have not been released but police said the arrested man has been taken to a police station in north London.
Resident Ian Cohen was walking his dog when the police closed the road.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “The police told everyone to go inside. They were running around looking very busy. They’d blocked the road and I saw two police vans and a police car, while inside the blockade was an unmarked car, a BMW range rover police car and armed police. They wouldn’t let anyone pass through and they said there were police officers with guns there.”
- 1 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 4 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 5 Arsenal hit Gillingham for ten in FA Cup
- 6 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 7 Arteta: Arsenal have to win these games or face consequence
- 8 Hampstead Literary Society launched - and looking for exciting writers
- 9 The Heath, exhaust theft, public access, Centene, the Streatery and more
- 10 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'