Man arrested as armed police swarm car in West Hampstead
- Credit: Archant
A man has been arrested for possession of an offensive weapon after armed police stopped a car in West Hampstead late last night.
Officers from the specialist firearms command swarmed the car at the junction of Mill Lane and West End Lane at 10.18pm.
The road was closed as police carried out the arrest and search.
Details of weapon(s) recovered have not been released but police said the arrested man has been taken to a police station in north London.
Resident Ian Cohen was walking his dog when the police closed the road.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “The police told everyone to go inside. They were running around looking very busy. They’d blocked the road and I saw two police vans and a police car, while inside the blockade was an unmarked car, a BMW range rover police car and armed police. They wouldn’t let anyone pass through and they said there were police officers with guns there.”
- 1 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 2 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 3 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 4 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 5 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 6 'Important for mental health': Royal Free commits to maintaining new gardens
- 7 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 8 Famous Hampstead Heath love swan Mrs Newbie dies
- 9 Koko to return with extra venues and community spaces for musicians
- 10 'Feels like a runway': Hampstead residents call for LED lamp post change