Man arrested as armed police swarm car in West Hampstead
- Credit: Archant
A man has been arrested for possession of an offensive weapon after armed police stopped a car in West Hampstead late last night.
Officers from the specialist firearms command swarmed the car at the junction of Mill Lane and West End Lane at 10.18pm.
The road was closed as police carried out the arrest and search.
Details of weapon(s) recovered have not been released but police said the arrested man has been taken to a police station in north London.
Resident Ian Cohen was walking his dog when the police closed the road.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “The police told everyone to go inside. They were running around looking very busy. They’d blocked the road and I saw two police vans and a police car, while inside the blockade was an unmarked car, a BMW range rover police car and armed police. They wouldn’t let anyone pass through and they said there were police officers with guns there.”
- 1 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 2 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 3 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned
- 4 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 5 Modern murder mysteries set in the heart of Hampstead
- 6 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 7 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 8 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 9 Vehicles scraped and traffic chaos after width-restriction bollards moved
- 10 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre