Man, 23, jailed after fatal hit-and-run in Camden Town
- Credit: Archant
A 23-year-old man has been jailed for seven years after a pedestrian was killed in a hit-and-run in Camden Town.
Tawanda Marau ploughed into Argon Gashi, 25, after speeding through a red light and losing control of his vehicle at the junction of Camden Road and Royal College Street.
The incident, on the morning of March 1, saw Mr Gashi, of Camden, die of multiple injuries.
Mr Marau failed to stop at the scene. As a result of subsequent investigation by officers at the scene – assisted by information from witnesses and the police helicopter – police were able to trace his Fiat Brava to the Finchley Road area of Swiss Cottage. He was arrested nearby.
Yesterday, appearing at Blackfriars Crown Court, he was sentenced to six years in prison for causing death by dangerous driving; he was further sentenced to one year in prison, to be served consecutively, for conspiracy to pervert the course of justice. He had pleaded guilty to both charges.
You may also want to watch:
He was also disqualified from driving for nine-and-a-half years and will have to complete an extended retest to regain his driving licence.
Detective Sergeant Cheryl Frost, of the Roads and Transport Policing Command, said: “It is likely that Marau was travelling at around 50mph through the red traffic signals when he struck Mr Gashi. This is a very sad case for all those involved and I would like to thank the Gashi family for their support throughout this investigation.”
- 1 Swimmers find exotic python lurking outside lido
- 2 'Unacceptable': Fury over Crouch End roadworks diverting W5 bus
- 3 MP bemoans closure of Lloyds Bank in Muswell Hill
- 4 Squares Pizzeria: Authentic Italian meets effortless elegance
- 5 'Bravery and courage': Fred Barnes plaque unveiled in Maida Vale
- 6 Objectors fear housing plans threaten chance of Highgate pub return
- 7 Christmas at Kenwood light trail gets go-ahead
- 8 North London police officer suspended and charged with theft
- 9 Heroic walker who raised thousands for charity dies aged 101
- 10 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate