Man, 19, found guilty of murdering Islington teen in Camden
- Credit: Met Police
A man has been found guilty of kiling an Islington teenager in Camden in a gang-related attack.
On Tuesday Arif Biomy, 19, of Wickham Lane, Greenwich, was found guilty of murdering Alex Smith, 16, by a jury at Inner London Crown Court. Yusuf Yusuf, 19, of Sandwell Crescent, West Hampstead, pleaded guilty on February 10 to assisting an offender.
Both will be sentenced on March 12.
Alex Smith, 16, was a member of the 'Cumbo' gang from the Regent's Park estate. He grew up near Holloway Road and went to school in Tufnell Park, but was living in Wembley at the time of the fatal stabbing in Munster Square on August 12 last year.
Biomy was one of six gang members from the Agar Grove estate who were driving around the Fitzrovia and Euston Road area looking for rivals to attack as part of an ongoing feud.
You may also want to watch:
The cars were both stolen - a Ford Fiesta and a Seat Leon, which was driven by Biomy.
On the night of the attack, Alex and his friends left Nando's onto Bolsover Street before the group took refuge at an estate in Euston Road, after they encountered the gang.
- 1 Highgate mental illness charity sees 'desperation' rise during Covid year
- 2 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
- 3 Two men charged after police find 'gun, cash and drugs' in Brent Cross flat
- 4 Police officer suffers leg injury after BMW stopped during 'routine patrol'
- 5 London elections 2021 live: Latest results as they come in
- 6 North London nurses: 1% NHS pay offer is a 'kick in the teeth'
- 7 'Unacceptable' HGV use by developers in Church Row writes off 3 cars
- 8 Arteta asks Arsenal to use 'pain' to punish West Brom
- 9 London Assembly elections: Camden, Barnet and Haringey's candidates
- 10 Toilets, the Ponds, Streatery, Nazanin and Palestine
Two cars pulled up in Longford Street where a number of males ran into a block of flats, before Alex was spotted.
While Biomy stayed in the car, Alex was chased by three males to Munster Square where he was stabbed at least twice, once fatally, to the chest. Meanwhile, six males made off in the two cars, both of which were later torched by Yusuf.
Biomy and Yusuf spoke on the phone twice before the killing, and then again after.
The prosecution argued all of those in the two cars committed murder as part of a joint plan.
With four remaining suspects, police continue to investigate the stabbing.
The driver of the Fiesta remains outstanding, but the identity of two passengers in that car are known to police.
Both men, aged 19 and 20 at the time, fled the UK within days of the stabbing.
One of the two passengers in the Seat, is a 20-year-old man who has been detained under the Mental Health Act and is not fit to stand trial.
The second passenger remains unknown.