Looters hit Chalk Farm
Rioters swept through Camden in the early hours of the morning
Chalk Farm was hit by copycat rioters last night who raided Evans Cycle Shop and the Sainsbury’s Local.
Looters broke into the shops late last night, smashing the windows and swiping food from the store.
Residents endured a terrifying night in their homes, with many posting pictures of groups of youths roaming the streets in the early hours of the morning.
Some reports estimate that up to 100 rioters hit Chalk Farm, with several small fires raging.
One Twitter user wrote: “So I just went up chalk farm up Camden and it’s mental out there. Hoodies all over, riot police failing to deal with it and looting at large”
Another wrote: “Police standing in line no riot gear brave men chalk farm.”
- 1 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 2 Man arrested following stabbing on Royal College Street
- 3 Highgate woman pledges £1million for children's autism charity
- 4 'I'm sorry people had to wait 30 years,' former minister tells Infected Blood Inquiry
- 5 Five bedrooms, utterly charming and in Muswell Hill
- 6 CCTV footage released as family pay tribute to 'loving son' Olsi
- 7 Barnet: Two men charged following fatal High Road stabbing
- 8 Floating park between Camden Town and King's Cross
- 9 Former Camden Council leader chooses women's safety charity for second mayoral year
- 10 First Muslim lord mayor of Westminster announced
Lines of uniformed police took to the streets to quell the violence, and helicopters combed the area. However, it is not yet known how many arrests were made.
Determined residents and traders equipped with brooms and binliners are this morning embarking on a major clean up in Chalk Farm.