Looters hit Chalk Farm
Rioters swept through Camden in the early hours of the morning
Chalk Farm was hit by copycat rioters last night who raided Evans Cycle Shop and the Sainsbury’s Local.
Looters broke into the shops late last night, smashing the windows and swiping food from the store.
Residents endured a terrifying night in their homes, with many posting pictures of groups of youths roaming the streets in the early hours of the morning.
Some reports estimate that up to 100 rioters hit Chalk Farm, with several small fires raging.
You may also want to watch:
One Twitter user wrote: “So I just went up chalk farm up Camden and it’s mental out there. Hoodies all over, riot police failing to deal with it and looting at large”
Another wrote: “Police standing in line no riot gear brave men chalk farm.”
- 1 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 2 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 3 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 4 Hampstead 'business hero' honoured for work with Soho Dairy street stall
- 5 CQC says Royal Free 'comprehensively responded' to maternity issues
- 6 Camden councillors rally against constituency boundary changes
- 7 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 8 Convicted terrorist sent back to jail after bin lorry breach
- 9 'Something out of Blade Runner?' BT eyes screen near cinema
- 10 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
Lines of uniformed police took to the streets to quell the violence, and helicopters combed the area. However, it is not yet known how many arrests were made.
Determined residents and traders equipped with brooms and binliners are this morning embarking on a major clean up in Chalk Farm.