Kentish Town soldier in Prince Harry’s regiment has conviction for selling stories quashed on appeal
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
A Kentish Town soldier in Prince Harry’s regiment who was convicted of providing information and pictures about him to two newspapers has had his conviction quashed.
Paul Brunt, 32, of Bartholomew Road, then a lance corporal in the Blues and Royals regiment of the Household Cavalry, provided details about Harry and other soldiers in the unit to the News of the World (NOTW) and The Sun over an 18-month period in 2006 and 2007 in exchange for thousands of pounds.
Brunt was convicted by an Old Bailey jury in March of two counts of misconduct in public office, while NOTW reporter Ryan Sabey was found guilty of aiding and abetting the offence.
Yesterday, Lord Thomas, the Lord Chief Justice, sitting with Mr Justice Simon and Mr Justice Cranston overturned Sabey and Brunt’s convictions on appeal.
The decision had been widely expected after the Crown Prosecution Service announced in April that nine out of 12 remaining Operation Elveden cases would be dropped.
You may also want to watch:
Prosecutor Julian Christopher QC told the court the CPS would not seek a retrial against Sabey, but applied for a retrial of Brunt as it is “in the public interest”.
The Lord Chief Justice allowed a retrial at the Old Bailey for Brunt, and ordered that he is brought before the court within seven days.
- 1 MP bemoans closure of Lloyds Bank in Muswell Hill
- 2 Dusty Springfield to Doris Lessing: A dive into West Hampstead history
- 3 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 4 Christmas at Kenwood light trail gets go-ahead
- 5 'As a welcoming, tolerant and caring community, we have all lost'
- 6 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 7 'From Archway to Selfridges… The Toy Project'
- 8 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 9 Richard Ratcliffe on hunger strike over government failure to secure Nazanin's release
- 10 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate