Kentish Town soldier in Prince Harry’s regiment has conviction for selling stories quashed on appeal
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
A Kentish Town soldier in Prince Harry’s regiment who was convicted of providing information and pictures about him to two newspapers has had his conviction quashed.
Paul Brunt, 32, of Bartholomew Road, then a lance corporal in the Blues and Royals regiment of the Household Cavalry, provided details about Harry and other soldiers in the unit to the News of the World (NOTW) and The Sun over an 18-month period in 2006 and 2007 in exchange for thousands of pounds.
Brunt was convicted by an Old Bailey jury in March of two counts of misconduct in public office, while NOTW reporter Ryan Sabey was found guilty of aiding and abetting the offence.
Yesterday, Lord Thomas, the Lord Chief Justice, sitting with Mr Justice Simon and Mr Justice Cranston overturned Sabey and Brunt’s convictions on appeal.
The decision had been widely expected after the Crown Prosecution Service announced in April that nine out of 12 remaining Operation Elveden cases would be dropped.
You may also want to watch:
Prosecutor Julian Christopher QC told the court the CPS would not seek a retrial against Sabey, but applied for a retrial of Brunt as it is “in the public interest”.
The Lord Chief Justice allowed a retrial at the Old Bailey for Brunt, and ordered that he is brought before the court within seven days.
- 1 London Assembly elections: Camden, Barnet and Haringey's candidates
- 2 Matt Hancock to give evidence at Infected Blood Inquiry
- 3 Swimmers launch legal challenge to charges at Hampstead Heath Ponds
- 4 Porsche driver tries to get car insured on phone when stopped by police
- 5 Golders Green Hippodrome 'chooses love' at interfaith Covid vaccine drive
- 6 Ibiza comes to Kenwood with meditation and music for 'healthy hedonists'
- 7 'Unacceptable' HGV use by developers in Church Row writes off 3 cars
- 8 What do you think of the Regent’s Park and Primrose Hill bins?
- 9 Tree topples onto neighbour's car after South Hampstead winds
- 10 Home of the week: Charming Victorian home for sale in Stroud Green